Monday, July 08, 2013

Day 6: Your Five Senses Right Now

Because the Farmer is haying and won't join us for lunch, Maggie requested gumbo.  SO...as I sit here in the post meal quiet, I hear the kids playing each in their own rooms, a contented, full-belly murmur.  The smell of bacon, shrimp, onions, tomatoes and spices is still hanging in the air.  

I learned today that gumbo is an amazingly flexible, forgiving dish....I didn't have all the ingredients for any particular recipe, so I slammed all the cookbooks shut and just went to cooking.  I had okra but no sausage, cumin but no file, canned crab, frozen shrimp, little rice...it all came together and as long as the Gumbo Police don't stop by, I think we're good.

I like it when flavors unfold in a food, so the first taste is the high notes, often the tomato or meat...then, the onions, peppers and spices roll out, and it ends on a smoky, soft, what-could-that-be?-I'd-better-have-another-bite sense.  For the gumbo, I browned the rice in butter before actually boiling it and that was the intriguing end essence.  Who knew that toasted rice in a spicy stew would be the trick?  

The kitchen looks like the crazy cook from Sesame Street just had a big party, even though I try to clean up as I go.
 But here's the thing...
I had to render the bacon grease for the roux. 
Chop whatever veggies I could think of to soften in that same roux.
Peel shrimp.
Brown the rice, 
Cook the chicken breast in strips.
Open the canned tomatoes and broth.
And that's the abbreviated list!

All that, to produce THIS:
(I guess you realize that if TOASTBA was still around, there would be some comment about how this looks like the already digested version...)
:)

I'm feeling full and ready for a nap...
After dishes, of course.



No comments: