Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The harvest is great, the workers are few....

That verse in the Bible is very literal, to me, this time of the year!  Really, the kids and I aren't very involved in the harvest process.  I help move augers, move guys who move trucks, make cookies, take phone calls, run for parts.  I like taking pictures of the whole mess, though. 


Vern is cutting the Willow Creek winter wheat, here...it's an incredible awnless wheat variety that makes great hay.  We hay some of it, but also sell the seed grain, so that's what they're cutting here.

The grain gets dumped in the short truck and wagon...it's alternated, so while one is being unloaded, the other is sitting empty, waiting to be filled.  The reason they are both here is that the Farmer hustled around and got one emptied quickly.  You can't see it, but he's sitting in the pickup truck, reading Men's Journal or a gun magazine...


Dumping the winter wheat into the wagon....



It always looks so rich, to me...bushels and bushels of red winter wheat, pouring into the truck or wagon.



Wait...wait....Angus is carrying a container of scotcheroo treats for PopPops and Dad, but he can't go until he gets the signal.  *Maggie is barefoot.  Remember that Merle Haggard song, "Mama Tried"?  I sing that a lot. 


I felt obliged to warn you about the bare feet, because they are showcased here in all their filthy glory. See how the red wagon looks sort of fuzzy and out of focus?  Chaff in the air, still, from dumping the wheat!


Why is Angus running away?  Well.  It turns out that he handed PopPops the scotcheroos and PopPops handed HIM a salted nut roll candy bar.  He is disinclined to share with his sister and thought he'd beat it back to the car to eat it in private, like a little raccoon. 



He was called back.  And manfully put away most of the salted nut roll, since his sister decided she didn't want slobbered-on peanuts.


This is the kind of bouquet farm girls like!


Well...it's not a salted nut roll, but still pretty cool...



This just makes me smile...


Back to work...



And the load of wheat, headed to the bin!



2 comments:

Sara H said...

Love these! Are salted nut rolls some sort of farmer/rancher required candy? Dad loves them, too. I'm a little envious of the Farmer. I always loved driving grain truck growing up. Although it was hot as heck, it meant I did not have to spray weeds or work on 4-H projects, or gasp - make lunch. And I could read comic books and other trash while waiting.

Rosie O'Grady said...

I am so happy the wheat is getting cut--no rain, hail, sleet or snow! We are still praying for any of those forms of moisture down here. Dry and hot and very little cotton, peanuts, grass or anything edible.