A lot of kind people have been inquiring as to how Kindergarten is going for Maggie. And we ask that question ourselves, because she doesn't really say much about the whole deal. After much prodding and thinking back on the last couple of weeks, here are some of the things she's learned:
- Boys don't really like to be kissed. Even if they are nice boys, they don't like kisses. (Whew!)
- How to count backwards. (She demonstrated, and by golly, she's got it! I was just worried about the whole counting forwards thing. I never thought of backwards.)
- What to do if there's a fire or tornado at school. (Another thing I hadn't thought about, but will now lay in bed with my head racing at the possiblity of such disasters.)
- You don't learn to read on the first day of Kindergarten. Or even the second day. Everyone keeps telling her she's going to learn to read at school, but so far, no dice.
- She has Hot Pocket envy. A little girl who rides the bus with her has Hot Pockets for lunch every day. Maggie has a lunchbox full of delicacies, but nothing to put in the microwave.
- How to play baseball. It's her favorite part of school, she tells me.
- Her least favorite part of school is the stretches they do first thing in the morning. I think she's frustrated that she can't do them perfectly. At least, I'm guessing that's what it is, after watching her try to show us here at home.
- Threes, fours and twos are easy to write. Fives are nearly impossible. So many turns and lines and curves!
- Homework? What homework? Her teacher sends a paper home to work on with the parents, which we do, then we send it back. But she never actually takes the paper out of her backpack and hands it in. I just found 4 homework papers in her backpack, neat as a pin. Perhaps I can mail them. Or paste them to her sweet little forehead in the morning.
- And if you want a playdate with your friends from school, just invite them! Mom will get out of the corral sometime around 3 p.m. and whip up some milk and cookies for the gang! (Fortunately, my friend Heather called and alerted me that this was the rumble at school amongst the younger set. That could've really been ugly, except that all the parents would have to drive their kids 12 or more miles to get to the playdate, and perhaps that would've deterred them.)

6 comments:
Glad she is liking school! Addy just got a progress report and likes to visit during seat work time. But when I asked her about it and why she was be too chatty, she just said the other girls are talking and she likes to talk to them too! She wouldn't be blamed :)
And when Camron was in K.. he and his classmates thought one of us moms would take them all to the zoo in Billings.. yeah right! Every school day he told me they were going..
It's too funny what they all think up when they get together!
Glad K has been a good experience... my kids always made best friends clean on the other side of the school district. I think they asked each friend how far away they lived and picked the furthest one!
Loved the post! Your Dad and I had many chuckles!! I still remember back to those days...so many funny little things!
Thanks for sharing.
Those fives are killing us, too. "Down and around and give it a hat." But which direction is his hat facing? That's the problem.
We've also had the un-turned-in homework issue. But Cade's weren't neat as a pin. They were crumpled into wads down in the dark, damp, crevices of the bottom of his backpack.
My little scholar.
OOOOOO!
I didn't know that little rhyme about the "5"! We'll try it, Shannon; thanks!
And Elise, I think Addy and Maggie would be fast friends. It's SO quiet, here, without my narrator. I'm sure she jabbers a lot at school, too. I try not to think about it.
Lori, that's funny! Mags DOES have a couple friends on the other side of Jordan, and it's about 100 mile round-trip to see them. We don't see them often, or we meet in town. *Sigh* (I hear a lot about the lack of visits, too.)
Sounds like she is getting a terrific education, and don't let her get started on stuff wrapped up in plastic wrap!
Post a Comment