Friday, April 03, 2009

Bummer

I'm starting my herd!

Today, the majority of the Board of Directors of Lang's Fork, Inc. had an unofficial meeting by the corrals to discuss the future of Daisy, the sorta-bum calf that we've had in the barn for about 5 days. The unspoken rule of the ranch is this: We Don't Mess With Bums. (And I'm assuming that just applies to calves, but we've never actually put it to the test.) Usually, if there's a bum calf, the President calls a neighbor; she's my ranching heroine, and I believe she may be reading this, so I'll call her Montana Calamity. She raises them, tenderly, and adds them to her herd.

I've been jealously watching this for a couple of years, coveting the calves. "How," I ask myself, " am I to start my own herd when the only opportunity keeps getting shipped out from under me?" And I have a brand and everything. I've had it since I was 4 years old. It hasn't touched the hide of many animals. Not that I'm bitter...

Anyway, Daisy is a unique bum in that her mother is still alive, but too ill to parent. She has an undetermined illness that is mystifying the President and Senior V.P. They've given her all sorts of shots, to try to get her going, but so far, nothing is working. I suggested that it might be a case of Bovine Post-Partum Depression. (Well, it seemed possible...she's listless, not interested in eating, lays around all the time, uninterested in her calf....See? She's disillusioned with this whole calf notion and her hormones are out of whack.) This idea was met with polite snorts, so I guess they aren't going with that diagnosis. Pity. I think it has merit.

So, in an unprecedented decision, Daisy was bestowed on the Junior V.P.! As soon as we can get a shelter and pen, here, she's moving to the South Fork of Lang's Fork Inc. (I'm not sure that's geographically correct, but it sounds impressive.) I need to call Montana Calamity and interview her as to her feeding regimen, if she's not too upset at the loss of the bum. The kids are excited, I'm excited...the Senior V.P. is less than excited, but resigned to the idea.

Now, to find that branding iron....



5 comments:

The Farmer said...

Moms next shot will be from a rimfire. she's not doing so well. As far as daisy is concerned, I don't want to be the feeding her all the time.Plus you have to stay home and take care of her while I can go to town.

Kerri said...

Ohh, I can't wait to meet Daisy!!

Stop by and see my blog...I have missed you! Spring break (winter?!?) is over and it's back to teaching on Tuesday.

TraciG said...

Bums can be fun, but kind of a pain as well. When they start coming after you the minute they see you coming, with bottle or no, watch out! The other trouble with bums is that it is way too easy to get attached and then when they leave due to breeding time or shipping time, it can be pretty sad!! It'll be fun to meet Daisy!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Is it just me, or does the Farmer's sticky note have a cranky sort of tone to it?

And yes, I know about the perils of bums, but I'm home all the time anyway...not like I go exotic places, like Billings or Bismark! I had bum calves, growing up, and funded my first colt that way, and some of my college. Hopefully Daisy will be bred, and we'll start a nest egg for Disney World. But that's a while in the future...

michelle said...

I was so excited for you when I read this! It felt the same as I imagine it would if you found out that a writer for a little-known (but wonderful and up-and-coming) food magazine wanted to interview you for possible inclusion in an early fall issue. Which I hope happens to you also, while we're on the subject.

Anyway, give Daisy a kiss and tell her to rise to the occasion. You can read her Les Miserables. It can't hurt.