Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Scenes from paradise...



Yes, I AM alive, still! I've been trying for two days to download pictures of the aftermath of the storm that hit here, but every time I would attempt the download, the internet would disconnect. We have Wild Blue satellite internet, and it will be the death of me.

Wayland and I borrowed Naomi's camera to take with us, to document the glamorous life of a rancher. I know she thinks we're nuts, taking pictures of cows and tractor tires, but at least there's two nuts!

I never know how these posts are going to come out, with the pictures, so I'll try to explain each photo. But it may make no sense at all. In which case, you abandon the explanation and just look at the details in the picture....


Cow 183, who calved in the night, and agreed amicably to pose for this documentary.
We didn't give her any time to freshen up, but I think she looks pretty good.

These are the cows in "the maternity ward" who we have sorted out as being closer to calve.
They have no regard for our opinion, whatsoever, and aren't calving any faster than the ones we sorted off as late. Here they are enjoying shredded hay, breakfast of champions.

The sideways freezing icicles, next to the old shed. The wind was blowing THAT hard.

This is the dash of the feed pickup, filled with various essential components to the operation.
You see the strap of the binoculars to the left, for looking for cows and their numbers. Then there are gloves, a plastic bag of eartags and marking pen, shotgun shells, half-eaten chocolate chip cookies and the book we record numbers and notes about the cows and calves.


The Farmer, before the stress of the day had strained our relations. He didn't have a chance to freshen up, either. Notice the bushy sideburns. You can tell all the ranchers who are calving and lambing, because they don't get to town to get thier hair cut, and they start cultivating a sort of 1974 kind of look. AND they get a little defensive about it, if you hold up your fingers in the "peace" sign.


Here's #183, again, checking to see if this is her calf. They make funny little moo-coos at their babies; it's hard to describe. You know how women talk to tiny babies? That's how cows talk to calves, sometimes. I think it's so beautiful, to hear them murmuring back and forth.

Vern, putting chopped hay into the hay wagon to take out to the cows.

This is one of the calves we found that was chilled down. He'd just been born, and his mama cleaned him off good, but he was wet and cold, and his ears were starting to freeze.

So we put him in the pickup, with the heater blowing full blast, to transport him to....
...the hotbox in the shop, where he stays for an hour or two, depending on how frozen he was. This is a calf who is ready to get out. He's looking perky and dry.
Wayland with one of the calves that had been born in the barn, the night before.
So that's what we've been doing the past couple of days. Today was warmer, and the sun came out...hooray! Traci and I took the kids to preschool, but CUPS was a pretty quiet affair, since Anne was sick, so we had tea in the church basement and just caught our breath!
I hear babies stirring, awake from naps, so I'd better get off the computer. Hope you enjoy the pictures!












6 comments:

Anne said...

Hey you! Loved the pictures, especially the one of you in your coordinating scotch cap and scarf. Sorry to have missed and caused the redistribution of CUPS - my day has been pretty well shot since the migraine didn't let up until noonish. Sigh We will just have to make up for it next week!

Christine said...

Oh my gosh...I feel chilled just reading this! I think if I were there I'd crawl into that hot box with the calf! Sure hope it warms up for you soon...we got snow today and we can not believe it!

I hope your soap made it to you through the storm!

Dawn said...

I love this post...I've told a dozen people complaining of our chilly spring the story of the sideways icicles...I'm passing this link around so expect some lurkers.

michelle said...

Amazing. Thanks for sharing these pictures. My grandpa has "hobby" cows and I remember sometimes we would visit in the spring when they would calve. But it was never snowy -- Northwest WA -- zone 7, pushing 8 -- my grandpa is an amazing gardener also, "moved" the barn and converted most of it into a greenhouse. Maybe you and he were separated at birth too -- haha!

Shannon Popkin said...

Thanks for the peeks into your world!! I've never seen sideways icycles! I HAVE seen bushier sideburns, but not because of calving. Where can I get one of those hot boxes? (My husband gets cranky when I sit for hours beside the gas fireplace. He'd really love it if I put a hotbox in the bedroom!)

Maybe everyone is supposed to know this, but: Are all baby cows born at the same time? Do the mothers go into heat or something? OK, looks like you're kinda busy, so I should just google 'cows', huh? :)

Hope it warms up there soon!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Yeah, the hotbox would be a glamorous addition to the bedroom. They are available through the Nasco Farm and Ranch catalog for a mere $489.00+ shipping and handling!

Yes, most cows cycle around the same time...if they have good nutrition and less stress. They may cycle a couple of times before the breeding actually happens, in which case we would have late calves. The hope and desire of every rancher is that the vast majority of cows will be bred in the first cycle. The complication of that is that they will be calving like popcorn during a rough 15-20 day period!

We put our bulls out for the month of June, for calves in March...yep, the gestation period is the same as for women. My husband and my OB really bonded during my first pregnancy, because they compared notes. Humiliating, yes, but at least there was some interest...

Glad you dropped by!