Thursday, April 02, 2009

On Monday, after the flurry of calf gathering and warming was over, the glamorous job of cleaning the corrals and calving pens was on the agenda. The guys got busy with the tractor and Bobcat, cleaning the corrals and moving snow, so the barn work fell to me.
In true management style, my husband, the Senior Vice-President of Lang's Fork Inc, gave me a 25 lb. pitchfork, told me to get the "big" piles of poop and all the afterbirth, and where I was to toss it. It was pretty complicated. (I'm the Junior Vice-President, and it was transparently clear THAT title is for paperwork purposes only.)
I got busy and after about 3 trips to the dump pile, I started feeling like the maid at the Bovine Inn. Because, you know, the cows are put in a pen, have their calf, stay for about 6 hours, then leave. Kind of like an overnight stay at a motel. They leave the beds unmade, the towels on the floor and trash everywhere. And let me tell you, when I got done cleaning the pen, I didn't leave a mint on the pillow.
It's snowing here, again, this morning. Big, fat, sloppy, gloppy, wet flakes are hitting the window and the ground is completely white. The calendar says April, but spring sure seems a long time coming this year.



Trusty 4 wheelers...in lieu of horses, we have another type of horsepower. MUCH to Maggie's dismay.

Vern feeding the "late" cows chopped hay and cake pellets.

This is a decal on our bale handler, and for some reason, I like how the red, white and blue stand out under all the grime of the ranch.



No comments: