Sunday, March 22, 2009

Seed Swap Sunday




Well, it was supposed to be Seed Swap Saturday, BUT better late than never, right? Here's what I'm going to do. I'll list the seeds I have for give-aways and the seeds I'd like to get my grubby hands on. If you see anything that interests you, leave a comment. We can email addresses, then, and I'll put the seeds in the mail on Wednesday, when I take Maggie to preschool. Also, if you leave a sticky note on the fridge door (comment), I'll put your name in a drawing for a reclining ceramic frog. He's cute, kitchsy, and small enough (5 inches) that he won't make the neighbors groan if you put him in a flower pot!

Here's what I have:
  1. Super Sugar Snap peas (Doesn't that remind you of Sugar Smacks cereal?)
  2. Blue Lake bush beans
  3. Short n' Sweet carrots (Grows in heavy soil...mine is sandy. I think Maggie threw those in the cart last year.)
  4. Peony poppies
  5. Cosmos
  6. Zinnias
  7. Sugar Sprint peas
  8. Ruby Queen corn

Here's what I'd like:

  1. Sweet peas (Do you think I've been buying the wrong kind of peas?)

  2. Forellenschuss lettuce

  3. Pinapple tomatillo

  4. Four o'clocks

  5. Anything that is vine-y and annual...but NOT morning glories! (That's for Eric Miller...)

And, if you have any compost tips, I could use them. It's always too wet, too dry, too green, too brown, too fluffy...never steaming and black. That's my goal and I'm failing miserably.

5 comments:

Marisa said...

Ok, here is what I have:
* Mexican Hat
* Cosmos Bright Lights
* Hollyhocks
* some old (2004) Cactus seeds!
I'd be interested in the peony poppy seeds.

Marisa said...

Anyone should note that the Mexican Hat, Cosmos, and Hollyhocks I posted are not full seed packets, or even in seed packets. Both the Cosmos and Hollyhocks are those I gathered from last years flowers. And the mexican hat is a small plastic bag I received.

Kerri said...

Ohhh this friend wants to do a seed swap! I have NOTHING to swap, though, unless I quickly run to the store and buy some for you all. But I realllllly want to do sweet peas this year -- they're so pretty and smell beautiful. How about I bring you some of the seeds I'm getting? :) Hmm, how hard are cosmos to grow and do they like lots of sun or partial? I'm not much of a gardener so I'm hoping you'll still let me be your friend!

Jennifer said...

I have nothing to swap either, besides some old giant sunflower seeds and red poppy seeds. I am totally interested in the peony poppys and the beans.

michelle said...

I'm swimming in Forellenschuss...some from last year and some I collected from Sally (my favorite head of Forellenschuss). Why did I not send those before? I don't think they'll make it in time for the swap, but I'll put them in the mail tommorrow. Why did I not take action when I first read this post...?

AND I got the Seed Missile #2 today! It was a lovely surprise. It came before dinner and so, ahem, it was "ruined" by some chocolate consumption, except I was trying to decide if I was "ruining" my dinner or "improving" it.

AND, the gardening bug has hit some of my friends here so we are having a gardening get-together and will be sharing the abundance of seeds. And maybe taking orders for tomato and/or pepper starts. Seed Swap Wednesday the Idaho Version, I guess!