Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Littlest Angel

My baby was in her first ever Christmas pageant!  She was cast as an angel, one of three, and she was the littlest and youngest on stage.  Maggie has been waiting all her life to be on stage.  Last year, at the end of the play, Celestia said, "Well, I guess that's all unless someone else wants to come up and sing." Maggie grabbed her friend Ben's hand and started up there, exclaiming, "Yeah! Me 'n' Ben!" (It should be noted here that Ben had no intention of going up there and provided anchor-like tendencies to slow her rise to stardom...)


Here's the angel, waving to her adoring fans (Daddy, Mommy, Angus and grandparents) while she sings. Not a drop of stage fright or hesitation in the child. 

They wear the wings with GREAT dignity. You've never seen such serious heavenly host!

Maggie, delivering one of her three lines.  You can see she talks with her hands, just like her mom.

Okay, these horses were just the greatest! The props for the play must've taken days, but they were so worth it.  The horses galloped, reared, jumped around, trotted....but nobody was thrown.

Singing "Jolly Old St. Nicholas"...the entire cast.  See the little banditos? They were raccoons! The students and teacher wrote the entire play themselves, and were able to customize the parts to the cast.  Those two raccoons were naughty, in the play, but quite contrite when caught. 
The other thing I really adore about this play, as well as last year's, is that the Christmas story is read from the book of Luke, within the plot. 

Santa!
I thought we were going to have problems here.  Mags wanted to see his sleigh and reindeer.  It's not good enough just to see the jolly old elf; she wants to have the WHOLE experience.  Fortunately, while we were in the bathroom changing out of the angel attire, Santa disappeared, so she didn't get to corner him on his mode of transportation....

Angus was thrilled to his toes, by Santa.  When he first saw St. Nick, his arms started flapping and his feet were dancing in one spot.  Even after he got to sit on his lap, he'd run over to Santa and give him a hug, whether there was another kid there, or not. 

And, of course, there was LOTS of food. Tons of appetizers, cookies and candy....most of us made two trips, and there was still food left over. Most of the kids just ate staggering amounts of candy, provided by Santa.   

It was really a great evening and I think everyone had a nice time.
I wish you all could've been there!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Oh man! We were talking at this house about how badly you and the husband will need to have a shotgun to polish for Maggie's romantic interests that come to the door...for there will be many! That is one of the cutest and radiant angels we have even seen!!

Wynamt said...

what an absolute priceless cast! I do miss those days. It just isn't the same without my kids doing the cutting up. enjoy every minute!

Rosie O'Grady said...

Country school plays! There is nothing like it! This takes me back to the Big Dry School years. I wish I had had as much nerve as Maggie. For some reason I got stage fright and started taking my costume off, and Mrs. Hooker was buttoning me up as fast as I was unbuttoning, and I did go out and do my part--a true miracle. Maggie will be a great actress, and she will probably really shine in debate competition, so steer her that way. Have a merry Christmas!