We are VERY serious about getting wine bottles open. You don't mess around with our merlot.
I wasn't supposed to take any pictures of people (even though everyone there HAD showered AND worn make up...) but this was blurry because of the action, and I decided no harm done in posting...
Our book was Jan Karon's Home To Holly Springs.
Our meal consisted of kraut bierrochs (not sure on the spelling), buffalo wing flavored eggrolls, cranberry/raspberry jello with whipped cream, some sort of phenomenal snickerdoodle cream cheese ball with pretzels, a Greek-style pasta salad, several different types of wine (Malbec being our new favorite), coffee and French Silk pie.
The kraut bierrochs are this sweetish, light bread that encases a filling of hamburger, onions, cabbage, salt and pepper. They are quite possibly the most wonderful thing I've ever eaten. I had two and a half....and lamented that I didn't have room for more.
At one point, in the meal, Clara made the comment, "Isn't everything here just the best food you've ever eaten?" and we all enthusiastically nodded, our mouths being too full to talk politely...
Seven of our ten members made it, and baby Everett joined us, too. He's the best baby I've ever been around, and a delight to cuddle. (We all did our share. His little cheeks were probably chapped from all the kisses.) After the food and discussion around the table, we retired to the living room and sang Christmas carols. I know, it sounds kind of corny but it was really fun! These girls can carry a tune!
The next book is Penguins and Golden Calves by Madelyn L'Engle.
We'll be meeting here at my house, and when it's at my house, I photograph people. So next month, you'll see some of the faces of the Underground Bookclub.
3 comments:
We finally started up a book club down here...yay!! I know that y'all like to read classics and stuff, but we just read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and it was a HUGE hit with all the girls...a laugh out loud, feel good book. Let me know if y'all read any good ones, we are always looking for suggestions! We are reading "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls this month...so far, so good!
OOOOO! I'm SO glad you are in a bookclub, Marina! I don't know if you've noticed, but the book is really just the good reason to get together and eat and laugh.
We don't do all classics...there has been some pop culture, too. A book that I loved, and that is really an odd little read, is called "Too Much Tuscan Sun" by Dario Castagno. He's a tour guide in Italy, and he writes about the people he takes on tours. (Don't tell my bookclub girls this, but The Sweet Potato Queen's Guide to Life was really funny. Not fine literature, by any stretch of the imagination, but completely entertaining.)
Let me know what you all are doing and how your bookclub runs! How many are in it? What do you eat, honey?
It varies from month to month (depending on how good the book is!), but we usually have about 15 girls there. We eat dessert only...and wine! :)
Thanks for the recommendations...we are always looking for something good!
Post a Comment