Tuesday, October 27, 2009

True confession, #270

*Warning: This post is just dripping with femininity. Just wanted the guys to know....read at your own discretion.

**AND if you were a homecoming queen, prom queen, rodeo queen or a West Texas Tumbleweed queen and the like, you may not understand all the emotion in this post.  I'm not making fun of you.










I have always wanted a tiara.



It wouldn't have to be a big, old Rose Bowl Queen sort of thing. That's just silly.

I would just love to have one, sitting on a cushion in my closet for those days when I finally get the refrigerator cleaned out and sanitized, or all the kids winter-and-too-small-by-three-sizes put away days.  Those days when there should be an applause track running in the soundtrack of my life.

I know this will come as a great shock to you all, but I was never even close to "earning" a tiara the old-fashioned way.  Early on in my life, I had the label "smart girl" taped to my back.  Now don't get me wrong; there's nothing bad about being smart...it's just that I wasn't really all that smart, I was just well-read.  (There's a difference, and that's a whole 'nother blog  post in and of itself!)  Anyway, smart girls are seldom, if ever, royalty.  And smart girls are notorious late bloomers. And if one desires to be crowned, that is a detriment, because after high school, there aren't a lot of tiara opportunities.  The sad truth is, if you didn't get one before age 19, odds are about 219,673,000:1 that you'll get one AFTER that.

Tiaras aren't something you can really put on your Christmas list. Even if you've spent years cultivating the Dork Mystique, (yes, another post) your loved ones will pass over that one, thinking you meant to write "Tevas" or something like that. You don't just pick up a tiara at Kohls or J.C.Penneys, either! I've scoured the second-hand stores for them, but no one gets rid of them, like old jackets.  Good grief! If I had a Prom Queen 1989 title, you wouldn't see my tiara in the local Goodwill....

I recently watched "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", a movie in which Marilyn Monroe wants to marry wealthy.  That is her only criterion in a man...available assets, lots of lire, mucho deniero.  And in one scene, she tries on a dowager's tiara! I thought my rhinestone envy had evaporated with time, but when I saw that scene I was filled, once again, with that terrible longing for paste gems on my head!


Now that the Farmer's Wife has confessed...
What about you? Do you want a tiara, too? Or do you have one? (Bless your popular little cheerleading heart!) 

8 comments:

Patricia said...

=) Skinny with freckles and thick BROWN frizzy hair were not the characteristics of most tiara-wearing girls I knew, so I knew better than to even think about wearing one. Besides, I wanted to be a concert pianist and wear a long gown on stage. I just didn't want to practice.

TraciG said...

I was the Junior Miss runner-up to a college drop-out who got pregnant by the pastor's son at age 19.... but I'M NOT BITTER!

(She's doing great now by the way--a physical therapist with a great family.... God works all things together for those who love him....)

First runner up is a lot like the whole bridesmaid thing... I had a stint in that position for a good 10 years too. Missed my senior prom (where I'd have been a queen candidate) cause I wanted to go to a church retreat.

I too cultivated my inner nerd a little more than I wanted to, but I think I'm okay about it all now. I just hope I'll get a few to lay at Jesus' feet when I get to heaven.

Shawna E said...

See now when I was in High School the smart girls were crowned prom queen and homecoming queen!! And No it wasn't me, I was the cheerleading ditching class type!!
I do get the oppurtunity to play dress up with MaKenzie and I get to wear a Tiara, not the big one of course, but at least she lets me wear one!

Amber said...

I was crowned the prom queen, so I do have a tiara. I was also the smart girl. I have no idea where my tiara is. I just tried to find it so A could wear it for Halloween. I did buy one for my wedding also, but again, no idea where it resides. If I ever find them, I may send them your way so you can play SuperMom with it for a day!

The Farmer's Wife said...

So, I have two "no tiara" girls, one "almost had a tiara" girl, and one "I have two tiaras"!

I think most girls outgrow this. I just want you to know that if I ever manage to procure my very own, 50 years from now I'll be wearing it in the nursing home, eating chocolates and complaining because my pink boa is at the dry cleaners...

Marina said...

I must confess, I have a tiara. I was Miss Monahans, but I honestly don't know how I won that title...I was one of the 'smart girls' too! But Mary, here is yet another excuse for you to come to Texas. I know where mine is and would love to let you prance around the house in it, although you might have to provide the pink boa, I have yet to purchase one. :)

Rosie O'Grady said...

DANG! I had no idea you wanted a tiara! I could have bought two of them at a garage sale in Kincaid, Illinois, when I was buying that novel I couldn't stand. Time to hit the garage sales--I'll get the boa and the tiara.

The Farmer's Wife said...

See? I knew the Texas team would understand! When I get there, we can all sit around in our tiaras, watch Tech play football and kiss on that baby Rhys.

I'm sure there are quite a few tiaras to be had, in Texas garage sales.