This is the BEST playdough recipe I've ever encountered, and I've tried many. I got it when I was teaching preschool in Jordan, and I keep it at the front of my recipe box. It makes a HUGE batch of playdough that will not dry out. Ever. If you make a batch, you can easily entertain 6-8 kids with nice quantities, or 2 kids with monstrous quantities. The other thing about this playdough is that it smells divine! I mean it. You'll want to eat it.
If you have a lot of morals about not handing out candy on Halloween, you can portion this out into sandwich bags instead. (I don't personally know anyone like that, thankfully. I know they exist, but we haven't encountered them here in Cohagen.) If you're a grandmother, teacher, mother, mother-to-be, auntie, god mother, desperate babysitter, etc., print it out and laminate it. You'll be glad you did.
In a large, large stew pot, combine:
5 1/2 cups flour
2 cups salt
8 teaspoons cream of tartar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 oz pumpkin pie spice (You know those small plastic containers in the spice aisle? One of those.)
Copious amounts of orange food coloring
4 cups water
On medium heat, stir mixture until it starts to pull away from the sides of your pan and look shiny. It will go from being a thick, gloppy mess of orange yuck to a smooth, slick looking lump in the middle of the pan. It's hard stirring, but you can't let it burn.
Once it gets to the smooth, slick stage, put it in a big Ziplock freezer bag, close the top and knead until you know there are no more lumps. Open the Ziplock and let the playdough cool until the little monsters can handle it safely. I store mine in either a Rubbermaid container or Ziplock freezer bags.
You can vary the smell and color; I just add whatever color or flavor I want in each batch. We are at the end of the blue citrus batch, and I'll get back to the pumpkin pie this next batch.
I'm sorry I don't have pictures! I know recipes are more fun with them. But I wanted to get this out so you could use it if you want, tomorrow.
1 comment:
Thanks for the recipe. I will make sure Rhys has a batch, and of course, I do get the child development classes to make the stuff for the pre-k, kinder, and even 1st grade kids to take home with them.
Post a Comment