
I, too, have been needing what Calvin is peddling...this last week, in particular. For some unknown reason, I've had the blues and a very bad attitude. AND I thought I was covering it rather well, but apparently there are those incredibly perceptive people who are also brutally honest, that are my friends. (Isn't that a rotten combination? Perceptive and honest. Sheesh. All in the same package!)
I've been trying to lose the "Last Ten Pounds", and that has to be contributing to crankiness. Have you ever actually met anyone who lost the "Last Ten Pounds"? I, personally, have only met and conversed with three types of people: "I Wish I Only Had Ten Pounds Left!", "Last Ten Pounds To Go", and "I Wish I Could Gain Weight". That last category is one I rarely stick around to hear the story for. And I'm sure they have their struggles, but in the interest of their safety, I leave. I may accidentally drop my "Last Ten Pounds" on them, and then they'd have a whole new set of problems....
I'm also caught in the wicked, evil summer cycle of "I need to clean my house, but I want to be outside." There's guilt wherever I turn. If I'm outside weeding, my brain wanders to all the tasks I have inside. If I'm inside mopping, there's my brain thinks of all the weeding I need to do. No solace anywhere, and it can take a toll on a person.
I'm not seeing my friends, like I do during the rest of the year. Considering I'm a person who needs (perceptive and honest) people to bounce my rather cosmically silly thoughts off, to get perspective, it's a rough time of year. There's no Underground Bookclub, no C.U.P.S. scheduled, no SHMASBO conferences for another 11 1/2 months....as a result, I'm buried under my own mental junk. (As well as the general junk in the house that needs cleaned...)
So, whiners irritate me, and I've been aggravating the heck out of myself, being this way! Here's my plan:
1. Maggie has a t-shirt that says "Let's Focus on Me!"...I need to do the inverse of that. For pete's sake! Get a life!
2. Start running and walking with regularity, again. First thing in the morning. Before coffee. OOOHH, yes, that's gonna hurt.
3. Take the kids somewhere, once a week, for a mental health day. Them AND me.
4. Do something creative, daily, even if it's only for about 15 minutes. And I'm not talking about organizing my closet so it reflects the spectrum of the rainbow, or putting food coloring in the toilet tank for that special little "zing!".... That's not creative. That's just weird.
I need to thank a couple of friends for the "kicks", but I'm not going to name them, here. You know who you are....let's be honest, you're perceptive! Thanks.
7 comments:
Sounds like you need that girls' trip to Chico (or Billings)! I certainly did and feel like a completely different person. It could have something to do with the fact that I'm on summer break and don't have the responsibility of 20 some third graders too.
I need to start that running before coffee thing too, but it's just SOOOO hard . . . we CAN do it!
I say go outside,run around the house a few times, get out the lawn chair and take a nap in the sun with your shades on, play with the kids, forget the housework because it doesn't care if you play with it, the kids do and don't be so hard on yourself, life is too short and so is the summer!!! Put the guilt in the closet and close the door!!! Amen
Hey, when you need to get out, call me! And, if you need to talk to someone on the phone while you clean house, call me! And, next week when you leave for your trip west, leave the house completely behind and immerse yourself in what you're doing at the time, enjoy yourself. It's only a week away! The break will help, I think.
To the rescue--the Dutton reunion. That will get your mind off of the house and yard. Hey--I am ready for a "sewing fix," and want to sew for little girls, so get ready. Seriously, I wish I had spent less time cleaning, and more time playing with my little one. Take my advice--tell that nagging voice in the back of your head to take a hike, and go outside with the kids, and play. I am also in favor of jogging too. That will do you lots of good. See ya soon.
I have an idea...Pam and I will come stay AT YOUR HOUSE with all our kids for four days...that should snap you out of your funk quickly.
Ok, girlfriend...thanks for the post of Calvin and Hobbes! I am officially Ms. Grumpy Pants this evening. I need to take note of your plan and work on it. I'm also at the last 10 pounds stage!!! Hmmm, perhaps I should come play after I'm done working at camp. I def don't have a full time job yet so there's no classroom to set up. I'd be game to come laugh and play with you & the kids! I love seeing your part of the world through your camera, but ready to see it with my own eyes.
Time to go finish cleaning the kitchen...I made Rachel Ray's Fish Tacos tonight. VERY TASTY!! But no thank you from the Duke. I'll name him Mr. Grumpy Pants! :)
big hugs to you....hang in there & I'll be looking forward to hearing that the last 10 pounds are G-O-N-E!
You got the ball rolling by making the list...NOW DO IT!
Did you feel that kick from Seattle!...lol
Happy note here: The cosmo seeds you sent me are growing...and I can't wait for the first bloom!
hugs sweet friend =o)
Post a Comment