Saturday, July 11, 2009

Contraband Cleaner

In a few days, Traci and I, and our combined four children are going to load up in a Chevy Yukon and drive for 10 hours across the great state of Montana to visit our friends Celestia and Jasper. I know what you're thinking, and the answer is, "It seemed like a really good idea, in March, after a glass of wine at Bookclub...." Nevertheless, we're committed to going, and it will be fun, I think, when we get there and after a glass of wine.

Celestia called, yesterday, and I asked if there was anything we could bring them from Cohagen. (I know what you're thinking, and the answer is, "I KNOW there's nothing but a post office, here. And a lot of cows. But we have access to the best meat processing place in the country, and Celestia and I talk the same steak language.") But her answer surprised me!

"Could you bring us some --- ----'s shower cleaner?"

"S-u-r-e...(you know I had to ask...) why?"

"It's been banned in our county, and we can't get it here."

Now this is not Poland we're talking about, it's Western Montana! And they banned a shower cleaner in her county? The same people who use stuff on the road in the winter that eats away your metal rims on your tires?

I was aghast, and then asked what would happen if they were "caught" using it, in that county. The answer was that they would be fined.

I know what you're thinking. I was thinking it, too.
Two things:
1. What; do they have a County Banned Products Police that drops by the house, unannounced, searching your cupboards for illegal substances, like ammonia or *gasp* Pine-sol?
2. Is my vehicle going to be searched by that same law enforcement group, at the county line, and what will happen to me?

Can you BELIEVE that? In Montana?
I'm going to apologize aforehand, for making this comment, but I just have to....
this is what happens when Californians move in and take over the local government.

If you are from California, and moved to Montana, you'll know what I'm talking about, because there was a darned good reason you moved here.

So I'm going to get some of the contraband cleaner, today, when I go to Miles City, and maybe a couple extra bottles for myself. Because it must work great, to be worth smuggling in.

Can you believe that?

4 comments:

Rosie O'Grady said...

Yes, I can believe it, and this Big Brother control is going to get worse. You are living in the "last frontier", but I do believe you will eventually have dumpsters, and meters on your water wells. Get ready!

Erin said...

If you were coming to visit me (it sounds like you'll be pretty close), I may have to ask for dishwasher detergent!!! All the good stuff is banned in our county:(

Texas Ghostrider said...

I had no idea we were that close to actual communism. They might be picking me up in the middle of the night for a reeducation camp. Just tell me what I need to mail up to y'all.......

Kerri said...

Mary, I'm bummed that you are soooo much closer to me and I still don't get to see you!!

As for contraband, 8 out of 10 Spokane domestic goddesses use dishwashing detergent and laundry detergent with phosphates. It's totally banned in Spokane County....so we have smugglers allll the time that either bring the housecleaners the good stuff back or they go on trips themselves to pick up the goods.

The Duke and I use a Melaluca product that doesn't have phosphates and our dishes come out beautifully. But I have tried the other nasty non phosphated stuff and it just doesn't work -- cloudy, yucky glasses. Not a pretty sight.

So if you see my friends (and your western Montana friends, too!) with Inspector Gadget coats and suspecious sneaking going on, it's just the contraband gang...trying to clean their house!!

Hope you have a great time~