Thursday, June 11, 2009

...speaking of Dads....


It occured to me, today, that Father's Day is fast approaching and here I sit with no ideas. Okay, let's amend that statement...no GOOD ideas. As you can see, I can make my Dad something to eat, like dark chocolate truffles, and he'll be overjoyed. And the same goes for my father-in-law, although his tastes run more to kolaches or homemade donuts.


My husband, now, is the tough one. I can't buy him scuba stuff because A. I can't afford it, and B. I don't know what to buy. He doesn't worship food, of any sort. (I can't believe we've been together 10 years, now, with that sort of difference!) He has more clothes, coats, gidgets and gadgets than he can use or wear in a year.


Out of the blue, I thought of one of those singing fish plaques, to hang on the wall. You know, something unique and tasteful. (I can just see some of my friends smacking their hands to their foreheads....and not because THEY wished THEY had thought of it first....) Really, I wasn't serious, but it was an amusing thought.


So I go to Overstock.com, to take a gander at their singing fish. Sure enough, there was a bass on a chunk of nicely routered plywood, labeled a trout, indicating some identity crisis on his part. A trout wannabe. And it was reasonably priced at $14.95. But wait, this is the good part:


IT WAS SOLD OUT!


I swear it was!


It gets better.


People who viewed this, also viewed: a Scarface cigar box, a plastic Dallas Cowboys clock, AND a 2003 World Series reproduction baseball, unsigned.


Those were our second choices, since some 2000 lucky Dads were going to get the singing bass/trout.


So....

What are YOU going to get Dad for Father's Day? (And if you were one of the one's who bought the last singing fish plaque, contact me. We can maybe work out a deal...)


6 comments:

The Farmer said...

What about backrubs, those are always a big hit. Socks, I need socks(oh wait thats for x-mas, never mind) Ammo, I need ammo. 22lr would suffice. But really, I don't need anything. A hug and a kiss and don't let the screen door hit you in the backside on the way out will due.

Marisa said...

Did you hear me smacking my forehead? My goodness, and who would have to listen to it, over and over, and over all day long? I'm hoping to be inspired when in Billings this weekend, but have little or no ideas, whatsoever!

Anne said...

How about a trophy of his very own for the rifle/pistol shooting match we're having. I'm thinking gold, etched with his name, perhaps in the shape of a scuba tank.......... Just a thought!

Amber said...

Since the Dad of this house doesn't read blogs, I figured it was safe to post his gift here. He is getting bbq skewers from Pampered Chef so he can make bbq shrimp. I always figure anything for the grill is a great idea. That way it saves me cooking a meal every once in a blue moon. Good luck! Amber

Homer said...

Not to worry, Mary. I've got you covered. I'm bringing Josh Thurlow books and Torpedo Junction for your hubby which you can say are really from you. Also, a profoundly helpful scuba oriented gift is a surgeon's cap, used to keep a man's head from being sunburnt while snorkeling or kicking out to deep water (yes, I use one), and also a pair of dive skins for tropical diving (wouldn't dive without them). Go here: http://www.surgicalcaps.com/ and here: http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear/Dive-Skins.html

The Farmer's Wife said...

Surgical caps and dive skins I would not have known about! Thanks, Homer. And the skewers would get used by me, because if it isn't a hamburger, he doesn't cook it...but he does a great job on those.

Like I say, the singing fish was in jest. But I laughed so hard to find out they were sold out! That's a lot of Father's Day gifts, winging their way to Rednecksville...