Some people think very deep, very profound things, and write them well. If you are one of these people, you'll probably want to go find another blog to cogitate on....
It's not that I DON'T think deeply and introspectively; I'm capable of it. It's just that I spend most of my time pondering the other mysteries of life. The day to day sorts of wonders that no one ever dares speak out loud.
There's a verse in the Bible that comes to mind, and greatly amuses me. It's found in Proverbs, chapter 30, verse 18. In the NIV translation, this is what it says: "There are three things that are too amazing for me, four that I do not understand:" Really? Only three? No, four. I have that many things that amaze me in the space of a cookie recipe!
Here are a couple of mine. These are not deep, but they bug the heck out of me...
1. Why IS it, that the little pluggy thingee in the sink WON'T hold water until you are trying to actually drain the water? Then it holds liquid like it's sealed with silicone! (Do I hear an "amen"?)
2. A dirty house attracts parties of friends and relatives, but a clean house seems to repel them.
3. Wearing high heels OR a skirt will cause a tire to flatten on the way to church or a job interview.
4. Kids can't hear you hollering in their ear with a megaphone on "High", but they can hear the crackle of a candy bar wrapper through 3 closed doors, a running vaccum cleaner, under your sweatshirt. (Hypothetically speaking, of course....)
5. Where does that sweater go, that you shove from side to side in a drawer for three weeks, on the one day you need it?
6. Bad hair days happen for weddings, class reunions, family photos and dates. Good hair days happen for working cows, gardening, cleaning house and days when the kids have the flu.
7. Do ice cubes evaporate, or what? I don't ever remember having that many iced beverages, yet the tray is stubbornly empty EVERY TIME.
8. You can wait until July 15 to set out your tomato plants and your tender annuals, then for the first time since dinosaurs roamed the earth, it will frost. It's HISTORICALLY impossible, but it will happen.
9. We've covered this one before, but I'd really like to know if one half of every 10 pair of socks dissolves in the wash. (I think the Chinese are getting back at us, this way, and perhaps American made socks don't dissolve. Note to self: look into this one.)
You see? I could go on, but I will, in great mercy, stop here. One of the questions that drove me wild for years was, "What makes toothpaste sweet? And if it's sugar, should we really be brushing our teeth with it 2-4 times a day?" I posed this question to my cousin Robert, who happens to be very smart and dentically trained. (I know, it's not a real word, but it should be...) He had actually never thought of that, and after some research, reported back that it was sorbitol...a sort of sugar alcohol that evaporates. Well, now I can brush my teeth without worrying, and so can you.
What sorts of things baffle you?
2 comments:
You are very wise... and now I ponder 10 new things. Things I never thought of. When my son was about the age of your older (from the looks of her, I would guess 5-7. He was 5) His question to me while sharing a popsicle on the porch, "Mommy, where do boogers come from? why do we have them?" Of course, I launched into the science of the nose along with it's purpose and job." Yes, questions we all have...
Haha! Funny thing, as I was on #3 or 4 I thought "what I want to know is where the socks go!" But apparently you aren't going to be the one to answer this.
Post a Comment