Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pictures from Bookclub

The girls, eating pickle/cream cheese/ham appetizers, drinking homemade raspberry lemonade (lemons squeezed by hand by Mr. Gus Glasscock, thank you very much!), and wine and discussing life since the last meeting.
Clara, with Skylar and Gwennie, the youngest attendees. They were pretty quiet, until we started eating. THEN they decided they were hungry, too!
And it turns out, Skylar really, really loves dirt cake.
And so do I.
Anne, mixing up fruit salad and goofing off for the camera. Beth is industriously slicing onions, tomatos and lettuce.
Traci and Celestia, with Gnarly Head Cab and a great joke!
Discussion (HA!) and dinner.
We had grilled burgers, potato salad, fruit salad, chips, dirt cake and the previously mentioned beverages. Yum!

We really needed about 3 more hours to actually discuss the book in depth. Get a bunch of mothers in a room and start discussing everyday tasks and worship....it could take a while.
I appreciated the input from the bookclub members that had kids that had flown the coop, and they lived to tell about it. And it was good to hear that EVERYONE has a household chore they hate. Turns out, Beth doesn't like to cook, but she'll clean bathrooms, no problem. I love to cook, and hate to clean bathrooms. If we lived 50 miles closer to each other, she'd come have lunch at my house, with the kids, and clean my bathrooms. Everyone wins! (In our dreams...)
Wayland said, before leaving with the kids, that he was going to call every 15 minutes throughout the evening, so we had a plan. We were going to turn up the music, laugh loudly, clink glasses, holler for someone...
It was the perfect plan.
He didn't call once.
Drats.
Thelma missed bookclub this time, and we missed her. It's funny; it's like a little family, but without all the hangups! So, when one member is missing, it's very noticable. Particularly Thelma, who brings a lot of generosity to the discussions, and laughter, AND good food...
Next meeting is at Traci's, and we're reading "Riding the Bus With My Sister".
And eating.
And laughing.
And relaxing.





2 comments:

Kerri said...

Hello! Your bookclub looks wonderful!!!! I haven't finished the book yet...I'll take it with me today when I'm teaching Kindergarten. The kids have music/pe/gym at the end of the day for a half hour...not sure which special but one of those! :)

And I ordered the next book! I've got to keep up with you.

Someone is going to have to grab the camera and take a picture of you at Bookclub!

ps my kids are living proof there's hope at the end of childhood....Ian will be 22 next month and Jennifer is 23! :)

Patricia said...

What fun!!!!! I was in a book club for a couple of years and loved it. Your post makes me want to get one going again.

BTW, I hate ironing, so if you know of anyone who wants to trade ironing for....hmmmmmm (I'm trying to think of something I love)....well, almost anything but ironing...let me know!

Like Kerri, I'm proof that there is hope and life after little ones. Then you get to be a grandma, and oh what joy!