Friday, April 24, 2009



Alright, alright, alright! Enough snow, already! Once again, we have a thick blanket of snow outside. No one is happy about it. The farmers don't have their crops all in. The ranchers still have calves dropping. The gardeners want to be out planting. The stay-at-home moms have exhausted all their possible entertainments. The teachers are banging their heads against their cluttered desks, because the lesson plans were written when it was 70 degrees out, and none of the outside projects will work, now. The dogs are crabbily pulling snowballs from between their toes, the blackbirds are yelling, the black cat is glaring from her perch on the deck....




So my plan is to do laundry and bake a Key Lime Pie, in defiance of the snow. Any Key Lime pie fans out there? It's the most spring-y, southern pie I can think of, and even now, typing this post about it, causes me to almost drool. I know. That's dreadful, but it's true!




I don't have the real Key Limes, obviously, but I have the juice in the fridge....pretty close for a Montana girl. My friend, Karen, the cattlewoman that I idolize ALSO happens to make the best Key Lime pie I've had. Can you believe that? There's a reason we're friends... She's also quite good with brisket. And no, you CAN'T get her phone number! Find your own super-heroine!




There are a myriad of Key Lime pie recipes, and I'm not sure what the true, original version was, but my favorite is with the pastry crust and meringue. And don't be putting green food coloring in that pie!




So, if you happen to be in the neighborhood, on your snowmobile, stop by this afternoon to help fold socks and have a slice of pie!

4 comments:

TraciG said...

Although I would have taken a nice gentle warm spring rain, this moisture is exactly what I need for my newly planted patches of grass! I'm not at all convinced it's warm enough for the seeds to germinate, but maybe the warm ground is warm enough... I guess we'll see!

Patricia said...

LOVE Key Lime Pie - and you get a buschel of kuddos for not using green food coloring. A real Key Lime Pie is yellow. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! MOST Key Lime Pies are made with a graham cracker crust and served with just a dollop of whipped cream and a thin slice of key lime on top, but your "no green food coloring" kuddos give you enough freedom to use whatever crust and topping suits your delights! =) I personally LOVE a meringue.

Marisa said...

Not a fan of meringue, but love a key lime pie! Pretty sure if the snowmobile was in town, and I was crazy enough to drive it out to your house, I would get bogged down in mud before I was done, judging by the dampness factor here. Maybe the 4-wheeler would be a better choice? Okay, maybe I'll have to buy one at the store tonight. Did Maggie buy the dragon Easter story?

michelle said...

Are you trying to get me back for yesterday's Caramel Shortbreads? Because it's working. I'm drooling. But I just took the snow tires off the car yesterday, so...