
Okay, true confession #263: I'm terrified of dentists.
And not just a little nervous. Not sort of apprehensive. I want to be under complete and total sedation before getting an x-ray, and don't discuss the details with me, just fix it before I come to.
My cousin Robert, who is here from Texas as I type, is a dentist...true story. I try not to hold it against him, but we don't talk about humorous stories from the office, if you know what I mean. Sorta like being related to a mortician, in my book. Someone has to do it, I just don't want to know about it.
And a couple of days ago, a temporary filling fell out of one of my molars. First, I was in denial. Then I had a cold drink and acknowledged the truth of the matter! Keep in mind the "temporary" filling had been put in when I was pregnant with Angus...2 1/2 years ago. Pretty good for temporary, huh? I wish I had been able to baby it along until he graduated from high school, but I got careless and ate some Grapenuts. Drats!
So I called a dentist this morning, after taking 3 Exedrine Migraines (not in denial anymore...) and they said I should be there by 1:30 p.m. for an x-ray. That's NOT enough time to work through all my issues! But I thought, "I'm a big girl. I can do this. I'm a grown woman. I can do this. I need a bottle of wine. I can do this." Then I called my mother-in-law to see if she could please watch the kids, (bear in mind this is the woman who went to Mexico to get her teeth done a couple of weeks ago, FOR VACATION) and the conversation went something like this:
- Mary: A filling fell out of one of my teeth and I managed to get an appointment tomorrow afternoon with that new dentist, so would it be possible for you to watch the kids while I do that?
- M.I.L.: I hope it isn't the guy that used to be with M--------. You won't like him, if it is.
- Mary: (Praying frantically, feverishly, fervently...) I think his name is Williams.
- M.I.L.: (Sensitively) Yeah, I think that was the one!
- Mary: (On the verge of swooning) Did you go to him? What was he like? (PLEASE say he was TOO nice....)
- M.I.L.: Yeah, I didn't like him. He was pretty rough and didn't use enough deadening. It hurt.
- Mary: (Head in hands, thinking of the rum in the cupboard, definitely woozy) Maybe that's why I got in so fast. Maybe he can just do something....temporary. Maybe it's not as dire as I think. There's a dentist in Billings that does sedation. Maybe I can be referred there. Maybe I should cancel.
- M.I.L.:(Compassionately) Oh, no. You'll be fine. Just tell him to give you the full deadening. I used to be just like you are, but after sitting hour after hour in the dentist's chair I got over it. I think it's just psychological.
That's about all I remember of the conversation. So I'm writing this post so that 14 followers will know what a chicken I am, and hopefully keep me accountable. I found this little advertisement for cocaine tooth drops, guaranteed to work. A bit drastic, but I can see how one might be tempted.
PRAY FOR ME, please. This is a heartfelt plea. And pray the dentist isn't the same one. And pray that if he IS the same one, that he does really good temporary fillings. With copious deadening. I don't care if I can't feel my face for 3 days. Or that I pass out when he shows me the x-ray and wake up after the root canal....God can do MIRACLES!!!! Hold me tight in your prayers.

11 comments:
Well I will say I am with you and will be praying for you ALL day. I really mean that! Dentists are not (by far)ANYTHING I look forward to. Thinking of you!
Oh man! I wish I had known this when I talked to you tonight and would have offered encouragement. Hmmm - does this mean soft foods tomorrow for CUPS?
Many, many prayers for you today! I actually went to the dentist this week to get my teeth cleaned. I wish I could get them cleaned monthly, I love that super clean feeling. Anyway, let us know that you made it through your appointment!!
So, is your MIL watching the kids? You are in my prayers, either for recovery or the appointment, since I'm not sure which day you are going or went. Part of tomorrow nights dessert will be soft, if that helps?
Such a high price to pay for enjoying Grapenuts, delicious as they are! Am praying.
Praying for you, girlfriend!! I love my dentist here in Spokane. Not only is he a great dentist and gentle in his care, but a wonderful Christian guy who spends time outside of the office talking to people in Costco AND praying for you when life is the pits. (yep, I've personally experienced this!!) How's that for service?!
Let us know how the appt goes!!
big hugs and prayers coming your way~
ps going to go get my toes painted in some springtime color before I go teach Special Ed this afternoon! I need something to warm my feet up with -- I can't wear flip flops here with 2 degree weather!
I hear you I dread having dental work done but thankfully I found a good dentist who is amazing!
How'd it go?!?!
Good luck Mary and you're in my thoughts. Just remember to breathe...deep breathe in, deep breathe out...this too shall pass.
How are you?
Wondering how it all went with you! Hope you are feeling somewhat better.
Post a Comment