I have a favorite book, from when I was a little girl. Perhaps some of you recognize Miss Suzy. She's a little brown squirrel who lives in a teeny tiny house in the top of a tall oak tree. She's the epitomy of cozy and content! She cleans her little corner of the world, and bakes while singing this little ditty: "Oh I love to cook, I love to bake; I think I'll make an acorn cake..." And Maggie and I sing that once in a while, when we are making cookies.

This winter, I've been working hard to cultivate that sort of contentedness with my life. And for the most part I've acheived it. BUT (Isn't there always a but?), I have a really hard time being content with my kitchen! I love to cook! I love to bake! My kitchen doesn't really support all that love. It REALLY doesn't support all that love when I invite others over.
Yesterday, I went to a party at Traci's and came home coveting a bigger kitchen. Don't you hate that? Just when you get all lined out, spiritually and mentally, the devil comes poking around and stirs up junk. I thought maybe I'd feel better if I showed you a picture of my "someday" kitchen. It's not a dream kitchen, by any means, because I really don't want the house that would support a dream kitchen. This is a "wow-maybe-that-would-be-attainable" kitchen!


I'm going to go swab my "this-is-for-right-now-and-perfectly-adequate" kitchen and perhaps bake a little cake for my Texas sweeties, now. Oh, and if you ever get your hands on a Miss Suzy book, by Miriam Young, grab it quick! You'll love it, I promise.
2 comments:
Everyone deserves a dream kitchen. I wish you the best of luck...keep going one day it will become a reality.
After all CUPS needs a place to met in style to ponder over all those magazines,right?
I like your "kinda dream kitchen" -- it looks homey and practical and full of love and conversation and good food. But I can also empathize with wanting to be content...knowing I should be since what I have is better than most everyone else in the world...thinking I've dealt with it, only to have to deal with it all over again...hoping that maybe as soon as I'm content for long enough I'll get what I want.
It is obvious that God has gifted you not only with ability and heart in the kitchen, but also true hospitality, the kind that feeds the souls, and not just the bellies, of the people you love on. I believe it brings Him joy to see you exercising those gifts even with the current limitations you have.
Post a Comment