Saturday, March 14, 2009

Putting out pairs...

Brand new baby by the barn...I love the corrugated tin in the background!
This is one of the heifers and her calf that we hauled this morning. After they calve, they spend a little time in the "maternity ward" until the calf is strong and we know he's nursing well. Then they get hauled in the horsetrailer to a nursery pasture.
This baby is soaking up the sunshine, in the corral, next to the water tank. Those black baby calves are like little solar panels! The red tag tells that this is one of Linda's calves; Vern's cousin that we lease pasture from. I was laying on my stomach, in the alley, taking this picture...I think Vern thought I'd lost it. Again.


While Wayland hauled pairs with the trailer, I got to feed the old cows, who aren't calving yet. This is the feed pickup, with a cake feeder mounted right behind the cab, and hydraulic bale handler. And about 200 lbs of gumbo mud clinging to the frame. I love it because it's an automatic transmission, and MUCH easier to back up and load those round bales.
Little known fact #264: I'm TERRIBLE at backing up with mirror. Attach a horse trailer, and it'll take me 20 minutes. Don't tell Vern.


Two of the pairs Wayland hauled to the Jacobson place, checking out thier new digs. Montana in March is SO dismal and cold! But in about 10 days, it'll start greening up a little. And by the end of April, the green will take your breath away.
Have I mentioned that I love cows?
And I love living on a ranch in Eastern Montana.
And I hope you look at these images with generosity of heart, because to me they are beautiful and honest.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and honest in deed. I loved this glimpse into your life!

Kerri said...

Awwwwh, that calf is soooo cute!!! Can't wait to see your greenery, too. I spotted daffodils coming up on the westside of the house, where there wasn't a lot of snow under the eaves. WOOOHOOO~

Thanks for sharing your farm life with me. (and I don't think I can back up a truck/trailer either!)

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm homesick.