Monday, March 16, 2009

Pot O' Gold


The treasure isn't always really obvious, despite the cartoon depictions of the leprechaun, rainbow and gold. I'm surrounded by little people everyday, and sometimes I miss it. (Of course, they don't have beards and a lilt, but they do jig, especially when they have to go potty, and they play tricks, just ask the cats with nervous tics...) Sometimes I think the rainbows come from the spray of water from the tub, during bathtime, or tears when Barbie doesn't fit in the horsetrailer.


My treasures are tiny gems, hidden in the dirt of the day. I need to watch for them, because sometimes I miss the little hand that pats mine, when I'm picking up the 200 miles of Thomas traintrack, or the slobbery smooch as I hand over the "cocoa bobboo". (Chocolate milk...in code.) When the dog collapses beside me in companionship, or the cat escapes the Little People Castle/Torture Chamber and seeks me out for a minute of purring. When new friends call, out of the blue, and make me laugh, or when old friends call, predictably, to share stories from the trenches...those are gems. My husband clears the table, because he can tell that picking up another Honey Nut Cheerio may just put me over the edge, or when he makes me coffee, for no real reason at all, or laughs at my corn-ball sense of life. He's a gem!


As I write, my mind starts thinking of all little treasures in a day; all the people and blessings that I've been missing, and the pot is running over with jewels of joy, moments of gold, silly silver seconds and diamond days. My prayer is that I will learn to see not an empty life, but all the amazing gifts, and be able to fill other people's heart pots.


(And if I was a good writer, I'd stop there, but I just can't. Because you know, I keep thinking that the overflowing pots are usually the toilets in this house, and you don't want to know about the treasure I find there. )


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

1 comment:

Marisa said...

OH my goodness, you posted thos late! Couldn't sleep after your meeting? Happy St. Patrick's Day!
I love your background, by the way!
I'm so glad you took a moment to find your pot of gold.