Friday, March 13, 2009

March Bookclub Report


Ah, yes, another action packed post from the Farmer's Wife...


Do you have your coffee and tirimisu ready?


Alright, here we go.



The Underground Bookclub met at Clara's house to discuss John Moore's book Loosening The Reins, with the very rare privilege of having the author present! John and Debbie Moore live just north of Miles City...a native son...and they graciously consented to a grilling by the bookclub. Well, we told them it would just be spaghetti and meatballs, but we had our questions all ready. We were going to go easy on him at first, but then get him with the zingers when he was trying to elegantly eat spaghetti.


*A side note here. If you have a guest who may accidentally intimidate you, serve spaghetti and meatballs. It's the great leveler of classes. Have you EVER been able to get around a plate of spaghetti, without slapping some of it on either your face, shirt or neighbor? Perhaps they should serve that at those stuffy White House dinners, with visiting diplomats from the Middle East. And the women could just suck the noodles through those little air holes in their burka hoods! But I digress...


We were missing a couple of bookclub members, sadly. I won't give you their real names, but "Feather", "Shelma" and "SethAnn" all had really good reasons to be gone. Calving came up frequently as an excuse, but Karen saw "Shelma" at the grocery store on her way to Lewistown for a rendezvous, so that alibi is busted...


Conversation was lively and we learned a lot about the craft of writing. At one point, Mr. Moore mentioned that we would make a good cast for a murder mystery novel, and proceeded to go around the table pointing out personality types. (Flake, Deep thinker, Has unplumbed depths, Down to earth, Mysterious, Lived a lot, English teacher) Yeah, I know. Now you are trying to go around the table in your head, placing people. He said you might do that.


Our menu was Mama Clara's Italiano Spaghetti and Meataballsa, tossed salad, cheesy garlic bread, green AND black olives, cheese stuffed pimento celery sticks, 4 bottles of wine, coffee and purtineer tirimisu. And wine.


AND at one point a tall, handsome, mysterious man drifted through the party, murmuring something about the grocery store. A brazen bookclubber requested dark chocolate. Twenty minutes later, the man returned with two huge bars of the darkest chocolate he could lay hands on in Jordan Montana, and was rewarded with hugs and kisses. He stuck around for a while after that. Too bad we are all married and so is he.


It was a really enjoyable evening, and we didn't let having the author restrain us. He, on the other hand, may never be the same. I asked Debbie to come back another time and give us the real stories, but I'm not sure she'll return, either. Unless Marisa makes more of that tirimisu... Have mercy, girl!

5 comments:

Marisa said...

purtineer tiramisu? As in, almost tiramisu? Is that what you mean? And, I am hiding the recipe. It's mine.

Anonymous said...

Hey ~ I never said my excuse was calving. I had to take TJ to the ear doctor in Lewistown Friday, and ended up going to Laura's to stay overnight Thursday night. I was on the cell phone when Karen went into the grocery store, so didn't get to talk to her. TJ had insisted since we got a late start he needed road food. Since he gave up candy for Lent, that conisisted of pretzels and barbecue cheesy chip stuff (ugh). Anyhow, we had a good trip up. Laura and I stayed up until 2 gabbing, catching up, checking heifers, etc. Dan the smart man informed us since we were probably going to talk all night anyway, he was going to bed and would do the 5 oclock check. :) TJ and Clay had a blast playing basketball and watching basketball and playing more basketball (in the living room.) They have hoops at both ends and play with a nerf ball. Not something he'd get to do at Grandmas' houses and our living room doesn't have a door on each end to hang the basket, so TJ thought it was great. The next day we helped them do the chores and feeding (amazingly similar to our feeding ritual :) so TJ and I felt right at home... except, they have 30 baby pigs from Jessie's 4-H breeding pig project. Cute, but smelly I must say. I stratigically begged out of those chores in the morning after checking them out the night before. Laura and I left Dan and TJ to finish and then we went down to her mother-in-laws and I attempted to record her playing the piano and accordian. I discovered I can record my dad and put it on a cd, so thought we'd try Margie too. Kind of fun, never enough time, but she had to go to Lewistown to play pool in a tournament and I had to get TJ to the dr. appointment. Dr. Pelczar doesnt' know what to do with TJ's ears. Guess we need to go to Billings so he can look at TJ under the microscope and determine what options we have. We can wait until school is out and after lambing/branding, etc. Sounds like another surgery will be needed. He told us that TJ's gut feeling about Dr. Ganion/Gayland or whatever his name was in MC must have been right on, because he's not an ENT doctor anymore. Guess he's going to school to be an anesthesiologist.

Well, the guys are finally in for lunch. Glad to hear bookclub went well. I hated to miss it. Three times in a row -- does that mean I'm out now? I felt guilty, but couldn't go to Laura's Friday night because Clay was going to be gone and I had to get back here because Kendall has the prom tonite. Yikes. Also, at the last minute we found out two of my nephews are in Jordan playing in the basketball tournament. Calving is way down on the list of excuses see? :) I knew Mike could handle that all on his own. I hadn't been to Laura's for probably over a year, so she was guilting me about that too. Got to see her grand paint job on their house and their new roof, etc. Helped her order new curtains which was her birthday present for Mom, solved most of the worlds problems, etc. :)

Take care,
Thelma

The Farmer's Wife said...

A little defensive about missing bookclub, aren't we?

"Shelma" sent me the email; I copied and pasted in the comment box because it was faster than translating...

And Marisa, I thought you told me it wasn't real tiramisu, when we were in the kitchen! Sorry for offending...jeepers! It was real enough for me. But if I had said tiramisu on the post, then you told me it wasn't, I'd be in trouble, too.

Whatever it was, be careful how you hide the recipe. I lost the sugar cookie recipe twice. Once was when you were here babysitting. How paranoid is THAT?! Like you wouldn't be friends with me if somehow you got your hands on the recipe....

Marisa said...

When are you going to the Clerk's workshop? When was it you wanted me to babysit? I think I'll bring Anne so one can watch kids while the other searches for the recipe! You didn't really offend me, I just had to give you a hard time!

Kerri said...

Tirimisu?!? YUMMMMM! But true confession #1, I don't like spaghetti. Can I still hang out with you ladies? I love everything else, esp the dessert and the wine! :)

I just bought my book for the March book club. I'll be sad doing it long distance from you all, but perhaps I can talk some girlfriends here into reading the book and having dinner, too!

Hmmm, do you all need elementary school teachers in your part of the state? I'd love to move that way!