(Who KNOWS what's lurking there, right?)
Today I went to a high school classmate's dad's funeral/visitation.
This is something grown ups do, something I didn't think I'd ever have to muster up and gracefully attend. This is what my folks are supposed to do....comfort the hurting friends, deliver casseroles, talk about 25 years ago in high school...
But here we are.
My high school classmates are now grandparents, losing their parents, retiring in seven years, taking high blood pressure medication.
We're the grown ups!
When did THAT happen?!
For some reason, we 19 are coming back together after 25 years, now.
Getting each other's addresses.
Forming fantasy football leagues with each other. (And kicking each other's butts therewithin.)
Calling each other on birthdays. Not just the "big ones".
Heck, celebrating TOGETHER on birthdays!
Challenging one another in fitness and personal growth goals.
Talking politics and religion and how the world is going to hell in a hand basket.
Admiring each other's receding hairlines, greying beards and temples, sharing tips about hormonal changes.
They're so DEAR to me, these people who knew me when I didn't even know myself!
It was oddly poignant to step outside after visiting my classmate and friend to see the GCDHS homecoming parade going by. It's the 100th year of our high school, so each class and organization did a specific decade for their float. I don't know who did the 1980's, but they really needed help from someone other than Wikipedia. Really. NO ONE on the float had leg warmers or big bangs or parachute pants or those big combs in their back pockets or Bon Jovi music or ANYTHING. But they tried really hard and threw homemade brownies.
Monday, my Aunt Bert and I will travel to Lewistown to visit one of her high school classmates from the 1960's...I want to say 67, but I might be wrong. They're at almost 50 years of friendship. What richness!
Do you think kids from small towns are closer and keep in touch better than other places?
Is Montana exceptional this way, because we have so few people?
AND....this is my biggest question....
do they whitewash rocks in the initial of their town and year of graduation on the sides of hills in towns other than Montana?!?
do they whitewash rocks in the initial of their town and year of graduation on the sides of hills in towns other than Montana?!?
3 comments:
It is much this way at the boys school. Graduating class of about 50.
And they used to sign the side of a barn here. Seriously. Then my friend bought it and painted it a beautiful green and so she bought a banner for them to sign instead of a barn.
Yes...at least as far as the Dakotas. White washed rocks exist.
Post a Comment