This is not the truth.
This ending came about because the storyteller, having woven an amazing tale of good vs. evil, heros and villains, princesses who originate humbly and rise by virtue and good luck to royal statuses, wraps up the saga with those iconic words of finale because they flat can't come up with anything more at the time. They've got nothin'. So they proclaim that all lived "happily ever after" and toddle off to make a bologna sandwich with a big glass of milk.
It's not true, of course.
It's sort of a lazy, slap-down-the-ending, we're-done-here,-folks, don't-worry-your-cute-little-head ending to a story that sticks with kids for a long time. This is rough, because kids want MORE! We ALL want MORE!
(This is how Disney makes their dough...Lion King, 1 1/2, 3, 14, etc.)
Really, though...
Cinderella STILL had a veddy ticked off step mother and sisters, not to mention the new in-laws.
Sleeping Beauty lost how many years? When she was LAST awake, it was wax seals on parchment letters; today, instant messages and Twitter.
Goldilocks? That chick will have recurring nightmares about bear beds after hibernation, don't you know?
And the list goes on.
I don't mind fairy tales...
Truly, I don't.
I like the clear black-n-white good vs. evil examples.
I like that commoners can accidentally or by good luck become kings and queens.
I like the tiaras.
:)
And I like that girls feel beautiful when they put on a crown, that boys feel brave and noble when they pick up a sword...or shovel to kill a rattlesnake. I like the crafty old crones who are witches, because they aren't just hanging out in the nursing home, waiting for their lukewarm tapioca pudding.
But I have always felt very unsatisfied with
"And they lived happily ever after!"
I'd really like something more along the lines of:
"And they lived through the ever after; working hard, embracing the day, finding love and grace especially when they didn't deserve it, with good, strong coffee to motivate them every morning! Their adventures, big and small, are another story for another time..."
NOW you can make a bologna sandwich.
2 comments:
I really feel I need that beautiful ending written in your script and hanging in a frame for me to read regularly.
Thank you for writing this.
That really is a much more satisfying ending.
Post a Comment