Thursday, October 16, 2014
For Your Shivery Enjoyment...
We live in a tough country. One has only to look at a map of Eastern Montana to realize that the first people to settle here must have had a horrible time of it, just by what they named land features. We have Hell Creek, Devil's Creek, Frozen Dog Creek, Skunk Arroyo, Deadman Road. (In fact, many of the faithful have "Hell Creek" on their baptism record. That always makes me smile!)
One of the places we drive past on the highway to Miles City is Deadman Road. We've seen it all our lives and so don't think much about it, but one evening in my bookclub someone happened to wonder out loud why it would have been named that. A little discussion ensued and this tale came out of it, given by a person who had been in the area long enough that we trusted her as a source:
One night, when cars were not reliable at all and there was no such thing as phone service in this part of Montana, a couple was driving home on the road in some tough weather. The car broke down, but the man knew where they were and told his companion to stay in the car, that he would walk to the nearest place for help.
(You can see where this is going, can't you? I still get the shivers, just typing it.)
In order to fully appreciate how scary this was for the lady who was left behind, you need to know that it's still one of the most remote regions in the lower 48, and when you're alone on the prairie with the wind blowing, you're REALLY alone. As alone as you'll ever be in your life.
As I remember the story that was told, the man had been gone some time when she heard terrible screams in the distance...ungodly screams. She locked all the doors of the car and hunkered down as low as she could, and I'm sure prayed her heart out.
The next day, the man's body was found high in a tree with no clue as to how it could possibly have gotten there.
I don't know if this is a true story or not, but it's a wickedly scary one to ponder when we drive by the sign in the night on our way north to Cohagen.
(If anyone has more details or accurate story, please leave a comment!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Okay, creepy little tale. I have often wondered why they named that road Deadman Road. I didn't spend much time on it, figuring it was obviously because someone died. But the thing I find interesting is that trees around there are few and far between. Was it a mountain lion? Why would it haul the poor soul up into the tree. Very creepy for sure. And that poor lady. True or not it makes a good story.
This is interesting, and scary too! I remember my dad telling about a coulee named "froze to death" and that is where a family died of hypothermia. Yes, those folks had to be tough when they settled that country, and I can't help but tear up a little when I think of the homesteaders (honyockers, as my dad called them) who came there with high hopes of building a life, and then starved out. They left worldly belongings in those old homesteads and even left horses behind when they pulled out with broken hearts and shattered dreams.
Post a Comment