"It smells good, Mom, but...did you follow the recipe?", they suspiciously inquire before digging in.
If I say "yes", they groan and proceed with caution.
We've discovered in the last few years that when I earnestly try to follow a recipe to the letter, the end product is pretty awful. If I cook instinctively and use my own judgement, it's usually quite good.
As usual, this is backward from the rest of the world.
I know it.
It really becomes evident if I try to make something like Hamburger Helper.
I've had Hamburger Helper dishes at my mother-in-law's house and they seemed really good! (Incidentally, she's one of those who follows recipes and directions very well, to the "t".) Every time I try to make it here, though, it's horrible. Like...make you feel like throwing up sort of horrible. Like....the dog doesn't want anything to do with the leftovers horrible. (And there ARE a lot of leftovers, believe me.) I try it about once every 6 months, thinking that maybe it was the box I chose or something...after all, any dang fool can make Hamburger Helper, right?
This last round, the Farmer finally told me I was not to buy it again.
EVER.
Just make your own from scratch and forget about the box.
I mean it.
Don't buy it again...EVER!!!!
Last night, I made these grilled chicken sandwiches with caramelized onions, bacon, cheddar cheese and a barbecue mayonnaise sauce on a toasted bun. Oooo!
But Maggie cagily asked before biting in, "You didn't follow a recipe, did you?"
Nope.
A happy sigh around the table and the meal commenced...
(Yes, this is closely related to the "I can't make jello" post...)
(How unAmerican is it that I can't make jello OR Hamburger Helper?!?!)
1 comment:
I am not allowed to, at all, make hamburger helper. Ever. Jason Harold has decreed it.
Post a Comment