Sunday, March 09, 2014
Daisy's a Grandma!
I'm pleased to introduce the newest member of the OC herd, Snapdragon! (We'll call him Snappy, though; much more manageable.) He was born to my heifer Rosie today at 3:26 p.m. MST and looks just perfect to me. Rosie is a nervous new mama and although she loves him and has him cleaned off really well, she keeps circling when he tries to get to her udder to nurse. That first milk, with all its colostrum, is so important for the calf, so if she doesn't settle down, she'll find herself in a head catch in the barn so he can get a meal. I hope that doesn't happen, though. She picked a good day to calve...right now the temperature here at the house is 62.5 degrees, with a pretty good wind.
I'll get more pictures tomorrow, but wanted to post this for my friend Montana Calamity, who has followed every step of the Daisy story from its beginning.
Labels:
big events in our family,
cows,
happy surprises
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment