Monday, April 29, 2013

Opinionated...

At one of the last gatherings I had with my nearest and dearest friends (whom I won't name or give the reason for the gathering), one of them remarked that she never blogged anymore because she didn't think anyone would want to read what she had to say.  She explained (after I nearly dropped my margarita) that if she said what she REALLY thought, it would be bad.  She said she wasn't brave enough.

It's not like she's going to write anything that would incite violence or compromise her family, legally.  Unless she writes about her famous-in-certain-circles pot brownies...

*JOKE!!*

People post their thoughts and beliefs on Facebook left and right, even my friend, although she's thoughtful about what she puts up.  But most of the stuff there is re-posts with other's words, from online publications, with a tiny endorsement in the status line.  On a blog, it's YOUR thoughts and ideas, explained from YOUR point of view....it's YOU, not just an agreement with someone you highly regard.

My friend has good things, tough things to say.

And she feels vulnerable, because once you put it on your blog, anyone can read, judge and refer back to it. They can even link to it!  It feels as though it can and will be held against you.  Almost as though you need a clause under your blog header that says, "This opinion in no way reflects the views of my mother or anyone in my family, is indicative of my mood that moment on the day of the post, and very well may be influenced by female hormones or lack of sleep."

I know that I'm not the best person to start handing out blog advice or even advice on bravery regarding words in print. But I DO think it's important to feel free to express your thoughts and opinions if you have something to say.  That's one of the beautiful things about being American.  As of right now, we have the privilege, the right, the blessing of being able to say what we think.  Especially on a blogging platform.  If someone is offended by my posts about killing flies or cows calving or recipes that don't turn out so well, they can stop reading it.  That's THEIR right.  (Losing followers by the handful, I'm sure...)

There's courtesy and respect involved in blogging.
There's the great little tool that allows one to invite only certain readers to a blog.
There's the ability to vaporize a post, and believe me, I've done that more than once!

But then...
there's the opportunity to "meet" incredible people you never would have, otherwise! (From Australia, Florida and Michigan, to name just a couple places.)
There's the journaling aspect.  I had forgotten some of the funny parenting/ranching moments until I read back through the Chronicles!
There's the authenticity.  This is your safe place, YOUR publication, you are the editor.



I dearly hope my friend begins blogging again.
I hope that she doesn't hold the pot brownie joke against me. :)
I hope you all read the Chronicles with a greater understanding of how brave and vulnerable someone has to be to write about hole-y underwear, depression, dreams, parenting and more.

I know I appreciate my faithful followers more, now that I've truly thought through all these things.
(You all need to know THIS about me...I'm one of those people who wants an "UN-SEND" button on email. To lay my soul bare here on the Chronicles expresses the greatest trust in mankind and grace.)
Thanks for your kind tolerance and continuous support and interest!








1 comment:

Nicole said...

I too am in this position where I feel like I can't type what I REALLY want to say because I don't want to get attacked for feeling a certain way. I have been attacked on my blog before, anonymously, but it's hard to be anonymous when I track my blog statistics and the person was from a small town (and actually friends with me on FB) so I found out who it was. Unfortunately people don't always know how to share their opinion respectfully without bashing someone else, so I just try to steer clear of controversial stuff. But one of these days....