Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sacrifice

Maggie and I have been exploring the observance Lent the past couple days.  On her calendar, she discovered an intriguing notification of "Ash Wednesday" and she wanted to know what in the world that holiday was....which led to the discussion of Lent, which led to the discussion of sacrifice to self in remembrance of God's sacrifice of His Son for US.  All very deep stuff for an 8 year old, especially on the eve before Valentine's Day, which is full of revelry and chocolate! (Who was in charge of the calendar this year, I ask you?? Lent coinciding with a day full of chocolate, sweets, wine, flowers, cheese...my personal nemesis...and so forth??? Talk about poor timing and a test of true sacrifice!)

I need to tell you that I was not raised in a family that observed Lent, at all.  We were non-denominational rurally non-descript Protestant.  Lent had associations with Catholicism, which my Gramps maintained a sort of resentment for; he was not openly anti-Catholic, but there were comments here and there, enough to know that it was not to be accepted.  Now that I'm older, I realize that part of it probably had to do with his mother being born and raised in Ireland in a Protestant home.  At any rate, I didn't even know about Lent until I was in high school, staying with an older couple as a live-in evening companion to make sure they didn't fall and break a hip or something dreadful.

Alyce Ewy was Lutheran...VERY Lutheran...and after school, I took her to an Ash Wednesday service at her church. Just like Maggie, I couldn't figure out what in the world this could be about...and it was even more mysterious being held at night and there were candles!  Why ashes? Why the middle of the week church service? Why was everyone so solemn and quiet?

When we returned home, I began to ask questions...which delighted Alyce and she was happy to explain the significance of Lent and how it preceded the Easter celebration. (More on that in a bit...)  So many things made sense, then, as to why my Catholic high school friends were so grouchy for 40 days, many of them having given up Copenhagen or chocolate as an ultimate sacrifice to self!  And it led to a deeper appreciation for the Easter message, in MY heart.

Last night, Maggie said that she was giving up her Horsie stuffed animal for Lent...a huge sacrifice, since she's slept with that thing for 4 years...and she said, "Do you think God will be happy that I did?"  Oh, baby...I snuggled in with her and told her that God was happy with her being Maggie.  The sacrifice of something special for 40 days is for US to understand, in just a tiny way, what God sacrificed for US...His Son!  Then, she wanted to know what I was giving up for Lent.
Coffee?
The computer?
Molly?
Music?
It was very revealing for her to toss out things that she thought were essential and important to me.
I was not as brave as she, and chose to give up peanut butter, which was a horrifyingly extreme choice in her estimation!  How does one live for 40 days without peanut butter?  (I'm still wondering that, myself, actually...)

I don't want to preach a sermon, here, but the idea of denying to self in our world...even just peanut butter...is a little extreme and harsh.  I'm not on a diet, I'm not trying to be coolly Paleo, I'm not looking to torture my family with this. (We won't be keeping Nutter Butters around, though.)  Every time I make the choice not to eat peanut butter, it will make me conscious of how much more God gave up for me....I'll focus on Him, rather than my own desire at that moment.  And not in a martyr-ish way...it's simple, personally significant, and redirects my heart in a private way...between God and I. (Except I wrote a blog post about it, so now it's not so private...drat.)

I love that Maggie is observing Lent, too....because she WANTS to, not because she's pressured to.  It was her decision, her heart's urging!  What a beautiful time of reflection for both of us, and such an open door to discuss and share our beliefs in a way that is not driven by popular culture!

So...
Happy Valentine's Day, my friends!  At my house, the celebration of love is even deeper this year.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

1 comment:

the Wife said...

How wonderful that she asks questions and how much she takes away from what she learns. You are an awesome mom!

I loved Alyce Ewey, she was such a neat lady. I loved going along with grandma and getting to visit her.