Thursday, July 26, 2012

In which the Underground Bookclub Meeting and Visiting Author Party happily coincide, resulting in a good time for one and all...

That may be the longest blog post title I've ever done!
It's good to stretch oneself, don't you think?

I'm frantically trying to catch up on blog posts, so this event actually happened a week ago, but I'm just getting time to sit down and pull my thoughts together.  Deepest apologies for the post barrage...

Our little bookclub decided that we'd continue meeting in the summer.  Traditionally, we've had one book for the summer that we all read, but didn't meet until September to discuss it, taking the three summer months off essentially.  But we miss each other.  We need a reason to get together that our husbands will agree is legit. So far, it's been patchy, but at least we're trying! 

I happened to have the June read and knew that Homer, Linda and Frank would be here in July (when we discuss the book) so I chose Sky of Stone, the last book of Homer's autobiographical trilogy.  I think it's his best book and often overlooked.  If you have the chance to read it, Sky of Stone by Homer Hickam...write and let me know what you think.  (That makes it sort of an extension of bookclub, doesn't it?!)

We had scheduling difficulties.
We're so very jumpy about fires and storms that when we read the forecast the morning of the scheduled dinner, we decided to move it to the following Thursday.  It turned out to be one of those 104 degree days, so we just stayed inside the air conditioned house instead of picnicking like we usually do.  Traci and Anne were the only ones who could make it, but they were essential: Traci had appetizers and Anne had margaritas and daiquiris.  Yes.  It would not have been a party without them, you can plainly see!

*Disclaimer: Wayland took all the pictures because I was busy being the hostess and testing daiquiris. 


Angus shows EVERYONE this ratty old sticker book.  There are no stickers IN the book because he put them ALL on the wall in his room.  I despise stickers....


I have no idea what prompted the hilarity, but I love the smiles!


Angus is VERY serious about his food.  For my foodish friends, the menu was:
Beef fajitas, Spanish rice, empanadas (Traci...recipe? Please?), fruit salad (Thanks, Marisa! Wish you had been here!), buttermilk salad, homemade ice cream and a full bar.  We discovered that afternoon that it was National Daiquiri Day...yes!  As one of my friends said, "It would be unpatriotic NOT to commemorate the holiday."  We are nothing, if not patriotic...


Frank and I sat in the kitchen and discussed Brittanies and old books, two topics that I'm pretty passionate about.  Meanwhile, in the living room....


The bookclub discussion was rolling right along without me! Dang!  If only there were two of me...
(A-a-a-n-d all my readers breathe a collective sigh of relief that THAT is not possible...)


We visited as long as we possibly dared, wishing the evening could be just a little longer...
I think in the future, we should start the shindig around 1 p.m. in the afternoon.  Maybe 9 hours would give us a good start.  

The next morning, when I got up, there was Maggie sitting in front of her goodies from Homer and Linda.  She looked very sad and I couldn't figure out why...had she lost something? broken something?
"What's the matter, baby?" I asked.
There was a deep sigh and then she said, "I MISS 'em."

We all do.  
Until next year!

2 comments:

Marina said...

I still cannot get over the fact that you are good friends with a real-life author; an author that wrote my favorite book of all time! Its just not fair!! So, I will live vicariously through you. :)

Homer Hickam said...

Linda, Frank, and I had a great time as always, Mary. It was fun playing "raptor" with the kids, too. Loved talking to the book club, loved the food and drink, loved seeing you and Wayland. We were a little beat up after a week of dinosaur hunting but coming to your ranch was the perfect way to kick back and let those little aches and pains fade away. Tell Maggie I also miss her and everyone, especially, of course, you.