Last night was our Buffett bookclub gathering!
Let me just get one thing out of the way and then I'll report on the whole mess: there were no bikinis.
It almost didn't happen, though, like I had it planned. For one thing, as of 2 p.m., the luau decorations and supplies STILL weren't here. Oh, they were out for delivery, UPS reassured me, but that could mean 5:30 p.m. One can't very well have a tropical themed party in the middle of Eastern Montana in March with two pineapples and some shells gleaned from the bottom of the toy box. And it's not like I could forage outside for decorations! Miles and miles of dead, brown grass, cowpies and the occasional sagebrush....
The UPS truck DID show, just in the nick of time!
Maggie and I RAN to meet the driver...I'm not lying...we RAN. He was a little startled. (I can't imagine why; I hadn't had a shower and had been cleaning all day in my most glamorous tshirt and mom jeans, and Maggie was frazzled from the school day.) Signed for the package, we ran into the house, he peeled out of our yard...the party is ON!
You've never seen a house go from "cleanish trailer" to "tropical paradise" so quickly.
Parrots, grass table skirt, candles, shells, backdrops...it was like getting a prom set up in 20 minutes with a four foot tall helper.
You can't read it, but the black hat with the pink lipstick motif says, "I'm the woman to blame!". My mother in law went to a Margaritaville restaurant in Florida a couple weeks ago and brought it back for me! (She says it's for when I work cows with the guys. I can't imagine WHY she'd think it was appropriate there. :)
Little take-home bags with wacky nail polish, cocoa butter lotion, tropical beverage stir sticks, paper umbrellas (of course) and flowers for their hair. Maggie helped me make them up in 10 minutes!
Okay, so the decorating was done...time for a shower.
(I'd have give quite a lot of my sister-in-law's financial resources for a margarita just then; guests arriving in 20 minutes, still need to prep the pork. And that's after I get hair and makeup done! It has to be done, you know, because I boldly advertised photos to my blog readers. Dang, dang, dang...)
Showers would be a lot quicker if women didn't have to shave their legs.
I'm just sayin'....
Tossed on my Hawaiian party dress, ran a comb through my hair, looked for my makeup...
Drats!
I left it in the car yesterday!
Well, no big deal, right?
Big deal.
BECAUSE...
That very, exact moment in time, the Garfield County Sheriff chose to put on a clinic for the new deputy on how to start and shift the official deputy pickup, right there in my yard.
That's right.
Roscoe P. Coltrane and Enos were there to retrieve the pickup, but it wasn't a start-'er-up-and-get-'er-into-town process. They were trying out the microphone, the computer and everything. I mean to tell you, he was thoroughly training on this girl! (Do you suppose THAT had anything to do with the level of instruction? Hmmm...)
Whatever.
I had guests arriving in 10....9.....8....minutes!
Where it gets tricky is that if Roscoe spotted me in my Hawaiian floweredy dress, he'd talk for just ever.
He'd PROBABLY invite himself to the party, because, you know, it was a fun looking shindig if the decorations were any precursor to the festivities to follow.
Waiting.
Waiting.
Waiting.
Finally, they walked around to the other side of the rig, I took my chance and bolted for my car.
Made it back to the house without being spotted....glory hallelujah!...and ran to the bathroom to apply spackle and frazzle mah hay-ah (my hair).
During this time, unbeknownst to me, (SERIOUSLY Traci and Joni...I truly did not hear it!) Roscoe had wrapped up the seminar and was knocking on my door.
Traci and Joni pulled in, just before he was to make a rescue, thinking I was lying dead on the floor.
I'm not even joking.
He thought something was very wrong, because I was obviously home and not answering the door.
(And I thought I over-reacted to dumb things!)
Still no margaritas.
But, hey...homemade guacamole and chips, coconut bread, sweet potato fries, fruit skewers and conch fritters!
We'll survive.
About 10 minutes later, Anne and Marisa showed up with the key lime pie and....moment of silence here...margarita mix and tequila.
Buffett playing, adornment with leis...
Let the party begin!
And it really did.
Here are some of the finer moments...
Margaritas, child...make haste!!!
(She measures, I don't; made it interesting as Anne had never made margaritas and I have made a couple.)
Shrimp!
And big, honking earrings...sheesh.
Please note the umbrella. I had 144 of those babies; we'll have umbrellas in our drinks...tea, chocolate milk, whatever...for another five years! Also, the green thingie hanging down by Marisa? Parrot tail feathers, of course!
Incidentally, we were astonished Anne made it to the party, much less able to be upright. She'd just been home one hour after a Denver trip and picking up her mother in law at the airport in Billings.
Please...someone comment on this woman's Bermuda shorts. She was perhaps a little upset that she was the only one who dug a pair out and was brave enough to wear them! (I was in a dress, with equally white legs AND shoulders, so I didn't want to hear about it.)
Fryin' the fritters! Which were AMAZING, by the way. A-MAZ-ING. I'm gathering up recipes to share with you, because you all need them. I need them. I think if all we'd had to eat were the fritters, we'd have been good. But we did all the food justice. We're polite that way; even going back for seconds to make the cook feel VERY good about her potluck dish....
Discussing deep, important things, such as "What's YOUR favorite Jimmy Buffett song?"
Oh...we DID discuss the book for a few minutes. It was not a big hit, but I don't care...it was a fun read for the dark month!
Around 10, Wayland returned to go to bed or something....I don't know....and I asked him to take a group picture.
It was a process....
We had a reluctant participant.
(She was the only one who had not had a margarita.)
Action shots...
It got a little wild.
Well, she's in the picture, but she's hiding. This is where the photographer said that it looked like Anne all of a sudden sprouted big hair. We lost it, again!
This is as good as it gets!
We missed Susie, but I have a take-home bag for her and we'll see her next month, I hope!
OH!
And the book we'll be reading is Anne's selection:
South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami
3 comments:
Loved this post so much I had to show it all to JD. :)
Now, this is what I call a party! You Cohagen girls know how to have fun.
Glad I stopped in tonight to her the story about Margaritaville. enjoyed, now I know what happens in Montana in winter.
Post a Comment