to address something that has driven me crazy for YEARS;
an encounter that fills my heart with dread, brings tears to my eyes, makes me feel like such a failure...it's simply awful.
It's fresh on my mind, because this week I had another traumatizing experience with
the S.C.A.L.E. at the doctor's office.
(That's right. I capitalized each letter on purpose, because evil entities really need identified by their proper name. Somehow, the acronym for "Suicide Contemplation After Looking Eventhoughyoucan'tstandit" is appropriate.)
I am STILL wondering how in the world the scale at the doctor's office can weigh me in at not three, not five, but EIGHT stinking pounds more than my scale at home does! Actually, I'm not wondering, I'm just mad.
Don't try to make me feel better by saying it's the clothes.
It's not the clothes.
I dress VERY purposely on doctor days when they come in the lighted decent apparel I own.
I even wear light socks, if any at all.
I don't wear heavy earrings...minescule hoops.
I take off my rings.
I take off my shoes.
I take off any sweater or scarf or hair thingee or name tag.
Which brings me to my NEXT aggravation about doctor's scales:
WHY do they not put them in a private little room where the door can be shut?
Do I hear an amen?
Why do we have to be measured in the very public hallway where, well, first of all, we can't completely disrobe and get our weight down to a managable five pounds over. And then, every doctor, nurse, patient, Pepsi delivery man seems to walk by while I'm standing there on the S.C.A.L.E., trying not to cry, wishing I hadn't had that sip of water before coming in to my appointment.
Which brings me to my FINAL frustration:
I can fast for a solid 24 hours, only take enough water for my medication, use the bathroom seconds before weigh in, breathe shallowly (Does air weigh much? I don't know. It must. Something like three pounds with each intake, I'm thinking...)
Still....eight pounds over my home scale.
And just so you know, you can't "accidentally" kick the darn thing while you're putting your shoes back on, because the nurse notices that and chides you. It probably gets written up in your chart. She probably adds two pounds in retribution. I'm sure she does.
I wonder if they just design these professional instruments to tack on extra pounds, some wicked "Watch this, Marge...I think this one will actually swoon when she weighs in; buy you a Diet Coke if she doesn't..."
It's probably some medical lottery to liven up the office.
Whatever it is, it can certainly take an already uncomfortable situation and turn it into a half hour of defensiveness and "But I run and eat fruits and vegetables like you can't believe, Doctor. Really. I do!"
S.C.A.L.E.s
Next appointment, I'm scheduling in July...I swear I will!
It'll push the envelope on "lightest decent apparel" but if I go to Walmart afterward, I might become famous...

7 comments:
I know -- it's a vast doctor and scale-manufacturer conspiracy to be sure. The scales are probably located in the hall so they can video patient reactions, then play them (like America's Funniest Home Videos) at the yearly office Christmas party. And tell me, when is someone going to invent a digital version? I think the worst part is the loud "sliding" sound the metal makes when they move the weight over...or worse yet, when the first isn't enough so they move on to the second (hopefully some of you thin ladies have never experienced that). :)
hahahahahaha.....and AMEN!
Name tags? Is this a regular part of your apparel?
Oh well, quit caring what the docs scales say. I say their scales are wrong and so is their blood pressure device is wrong too. I just hate it when MY scales don't budge.
I don't weigh. If they ask what I weigh I just say too damn much thank you. Don't lose any more weight or they will have to put a chain around your ankle to keep you in the corral on windy days.
Naomi
Susie K., in Montana, we try to schedule everything on one (160 round trip) trip to Miles, so I often make appointments on workshop days since I'm already going in. And pick up parts from John Deere, and get groceries, etc.
Naomi Jean...you just moved to the top of the "Favorite People" list with that little corral comment! :) I didn't know it was an option to decline the weigh in! They always just hop me on the scale and that's the end of it. I'll resist, now that I know it's an optional deal. Jeez. Coulda used that information years ago!
Oh!
And Shelly...
The metal weights...clanking....second set....shifting higher....yet higher....yet higher....Oh, sweet friend, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! It's not my actual weight that bothers me so much as the theatrics involved in getting it! (Okay, that's a lie. The number matters more than I'd like to admit. But, still...! Could we not weigh when we get to the little cotton gown? In the private room? You KNOW they're playing nurse games!)
Post a Comment