Monday, July 25, 2011

How my garden does grow...

I have a few readers who really ARE into gardening, and I feel obliged (delighted) to keep them updated on the seasons in my yard.  These pictures are ALREADY 10-14 days old!  *sigh*

Without further ado...


Gaillardia (Indian Paintbrush) in front of salvia (Russian, Traci...*big wink*)
I love these two together...they're so bold! Very "July in the garden"...


And the birdhouse I love, but apparently no birds feel the same way...
Not one look, or even a perch, for heaven's sake!
(They will, however, build and rebuild and rebuild a nest in the end of our rain gutter. Pish!)


Ah, ladybug...looking a little bedraggled, so I'm assuming Maggie got there before me.


Forellenschluss!  See, Fontie? Spotted trout lettuce is the prettiest thing in my raised beds; thank you!


Except, perhaps, the ruffly lettuce sitting beside it...that's awfully pretty, too...



Happy faced little pansies, early in the morning.
Do you remember the movie The Sound of Music?  And the song Edelweiss?
"...every morning you greet me; small and white, clean and bright, you look happy to meet me!"
Well, these are purple, but I think they're still happy to meet me.


This was a happy accident, letting a hollyhock grow in this particular bed.  I hope to repeat it next year, because it's simply stunning, in structure and color...
What do you think?



Nasturtiums just GLOW, especially against cilantro!


Here she is, again...
Alcea, you bring a smile to my heart!

We have grasshoppers so thick that they jump in waves in front of the lawn mower.  That is not an exaggeration.  I probably won't have much left after this week, except the tiny little tomatoes that I am praying over, daily.  WHY do they stay green so eternally long? It's not easy, being green!  So turn red or yellow or purple, or whatever color I planted but can't remember.

How is YOUR garden growing?

2 comments:

Sara H said...

Love the colors of the gaillardia with the salvia - beautiful (but one comment - I'm pretty sure gaillardia and Indian paintbrush are two different plants. Gaillardia's common name is blanket flower I believe - like Indian blanket. But I could be completely and utterly wrong). The shot with the sun behind the hollyhock is stunning.

All is good in our garden. We've been eating little orange cherry-type tomatoes, cucumbers, and pepppers for over a week (still waiting for the others to ripen - and when they do it will be tomato deluge). Well, and stuffed squash blossoms, too! The arugula is on its way out after two solid months of deliciousness. The herb garden is producing like crazy and the lavendar has been harvested at least 4 times without stopping. And our dahlias and lilies are just about to bloom. Love this time of year!

Luci said...

I LOVE that maverick hollyhock! Good job on the photography, Mary. In the mountains we have a wildflower called Indian Paintbrush. It is more of a spike shaped plant with bright red blossoms shooting off the the sides and top. You had the "Indian" part right though. :)