Saturday, May 28, 2011

Meringue Miracle...in which the Farmer's Wife finds the perfect recipe and saves the world. Or something like that.

I'm going to just say it.

Meringue is a very strange and wonderful substance that I want to just stick my face into and eat until it's gone.  It's like eating clouds, isn't it? 

It's big hair, for pie.



I never have much luck making the stuff....it's always shrink-y, or water-y or just plain ugly.  And there's NEVER enough of it in a recipe to make that mile high poof that one sees in Southern Living magazines. I've tried doubling, to get the effect, and there's no such thing....one really can't double meringue recipes with any success.  Heck, one really can't make ONE meringue recipe with any success, often times!

BUT....I've found THE perfect recipe for meringue.  It's brilliant.  It's astoundingly simple.  It's stunningly foolproof. (I would know...being the fool who tested it and found success.) 

And I'm going to share it with you! 

I tested it on key lime pie...(Hi, Patricia!)
BEHOLD....




*Actual, unretouched photos


It's a little weird, compared to your conventional meringues, but I think that's why it worked for me.  If you already have a great recipe and make lovely confections with it, don't mess around with this.  But if, like me, you have had flops instead of fluffs, this will make you look good. 

Miracle Meringue

1/2 cup cool water
2 T. white sugar
1 T. corn starch

Mix these ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear. (It won't be crystal clear, but it will lose the cloudy corn starchy look.) Remove from heat and set aside.

In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat
3 egg whites (handily left over from the pie recipe)
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 pinch salt (couple shakes from the shaker, I think)
Beat until the mixture is foamy.

Mix in
1/2 tsp vanilla extract and gradually add 6 T. white sugar, beating constantly until soft peaks form.

Add the corn starch mixture to the egg mixture, gradually, beating until stiff.

Spread over the top of a WARM pie, all the way to the edges of the crust to seal it.  (There will be PLENTY!  I promise.  You'll even be a little overwhelmed at the amount at first, then giddy that your meringue is so big!) 

Brown in a 450 degree oven. 

Have your camera ready when it comes out, because you'll have such a case of Pie Love that you won't be able to restrain yourself....you'll have to show everyone.  (Sort of like those crazy *ahem* people who show pictures of their flowers to anyone who will stand still long enough...)

3 comments:

Marina said...

How do you put your meringue on? Mine never looks so pretty...it just looks glopped on there.

The Farmer's Wife said...

Actually, Marina, I glop it on too, at first. Get it spread all the way to the edges with a very light hand and then take a table knife and make little swirls or half circles. I have to be careful not to mess with it too much, trying to get it pretty, but the little circles show up great when it browns.

suekush said...

That is beautiful!! I hope you didn't let anyone eat it...