This is a public service announcement, from The Farmer's Wife.
Last week in Walmart, (Yeah, that phrase right there should lend credit to anything I'm about to tell you.) while waiting to check out, I saw a product called Pajama Jeans.
That's right.
Pajama bottoms styled to look like "designer" jeans!
From the box, it looked like they were from one of those late night infomercials and I assume it was being marketed to insomniac, stay-at-home moms like me. So we would be ready at a moment's notice to answer the door and the UPS man would have NO IDEA that we are still wearing our pajamas at two in the afternoon! The packaging indicated that, heck, we could probably even get away with interviewing for a job in them or a nice evening out on the town. (Sorta takes "casual Fridays" to a new level of laid back-ed-ness, doesn't it?)
They were ONLY $49.95, predictably, and the only size I could find there was extra large. It was almost my turn to check out, so I didn't have the opportunity to think of something I'd forgotten and roam the store looking for a People of Walmart model wearing a size small, which presumably had sold out.
The other thing I found that gave me cause for concern for naive consumers was in Albertsons last night. I was looking in the deli area for proscuitto and stinky, imported cheeses when I came across a pre-packaged, cellophane wrapped PARTY PACK of sushi.
That's right.
A loaded gun laying right there beside the Reser's potato salad and chevre cheese.
There are a couple things (besides Pajama Jeans) that you don't want to buy in Eastern Montana....one of them being a tshirt proclaiming that you're a vegetarian and voted for Obama, the other being raw fish with a blurry "Sell by" date to feed to your party guests. On both counts, I can't guarantee you'll live to regret your choice.
(I personally think sushi should be eaten within 15 miles of the shore where it was caught. The further from the shore, the dicier the proposition of eating it. Likewise, I'd be suspicious of steak tartare in Polynesia.) I suspect this sushi was older than the cheese from Ireland that I bought.
I don't know how many of you were aware of these products, but I felt compelled to warn you that they are out there and to urge you to guard against *impulsive buys!
*Better to wait and buy the Pajama Jeans through the informercial, because you always want the "But WAIT! If you buy now, you'll also get..." offer, right?


2 comments:
I'm at the age where, for a second, those jeans sounded pretty good. Did you ever see "What Not to Wear?" on TLC? The people on that show with the most deplorable fashion instincts usually give the same reason for their clothing choices: "It's comfortable." It's scary, but that's making more sense all the time!
That's funny, Shelly!
I think there's a classy way to do comfortable; I've seen it done. A lady named Phyllis Brown, who lives in Billings and is married to one of my family's good friends, is the most elegant woman I know....and wears knit fabric so well you can't imagine that it is just basically tshirt material! From head to toe. The brand is Weekender, I think, and it's great!
I fear that show is going to come knocking on my door, someday...
Post a Comment