Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Little Women

That's right, folks...I'm on a roll.
You get not one, not two, but three posts today!
(Pretend to be excited, okay? Thanks.)

And this is a chick post.  (You could probably tell by the title, but I always feel obliged to warn the guys who read the Chronicles.  That way if they are scarred for life by some estrogen-loaded post, they can't say they didn't get the disclaimer up front.)

Maggie and I just finished watching the movie version of "Little Women"...the Wynnona Ryder/Susan Sarandon version.  It was a very honest attempt at capturing the flavor of the book and certainly got all the period setting and wardrobe right.  I think Meg and Beth were portrayed a little flatly; that they got John Brooke ALL wrong (he needs to be tall and dark and confident). 

Just as always, I found myself thinking about which of the women I most related to or resembled.  It's not always the same thing, you know.  I've done this as long as I've been reading the book. (And, yes, I've read the book a hundred times, conservatively.)

Was it Meg?  The oldest daughter, kind and maternal, with a quiet confidence and good intentions...
Jo?  The impulsive tomboy who loved words, her head full of impossible dreams and stories, impatient and loyal.
Perhaps it was Beth?  A content homebody, shy and musical, whom everyone loves because she always thinks of others before herself.
Or Amy?  The bright youngest who longs to be more of everything, artistic and funny by using big words that are almost, but not quite, right. 

Who do you most relate to?  Who are you most like?

(I find that when I was younger, I had a little of each of them; enough that I couldn't clearly choose one that I was most like.  With time, my personality has perhaps become more formed and set, and I can clearly see the one that I resemble and relate to the most.)

3 comments:

Denise said...

I've seen that movie many times, read the book many more. You change as your life changes. Heck, you change as your day changes.

Sigh. I looooove Little Women.

Shelly said...

Love this movie -- especially the music, costumes and scenery. I must be a 19th-century New Englander at heart.

Anne said...

I'd say I must like to resemble Jo, but am in reality more of a Meg/Jo combo deal. Playing by the rules but wishing I didn't have to do so (and swearing occasionally with the boys). ;)