The Man From Snowy River?
Of course you do!
(And all the guys roll their eyes and all the girls sigh wistfully....)
I found it at a second hand store in Miles City, last week, and was so excited! I don't think I've seen the movie since it first came out....can it be at least 20 years ago?
(Little note, here: I watch MAYBE 3 new movies a year. Maybe. I've seen probably only 175 movies in my lifetime, most of them made before 1960. So if I talk about a movie, here, it's rather a big deal. Most of the time...I've read the book and shunned the movie. I know. Purists are lonely people...)
So Sunday night, I plugged 'er into the VCR and Maggie and I watched it.
Oh, my goodness...it was JUST as good as I'd remembered! Except Jim, the hero, was about 19 years old. I don't remember him being THAT young. At all. The music was as familiar to me as Sunday school songs, because I had worn out a tape of the soundtrack and bought sheet music for Jessica's Theme, playing it, I'm sure, until my mom wanted to weep...way back when it first came out.
Did you remember that Michael Douglas was in this one? And played brothers?
Did you notice that the stud who led the wild horses was a half brother to the expensive colt that the rancher bought? The stud was the first colt out of the mare and the colt was the last one. I didn't remember that full circle at all!
Did you know that the movie was based on a poem, written by A.B. Banjo Paterson? I don't know if any of you have read the poem, but it's a GREAT one; check it out! The Man From Snowy River
Maggie told me that every horse was the most beautiful horse she'd ever seen. There were a lot of horses. She said it a lot of times. And when Jim goes bailing off the cliff, I lectured her on how completely stupid that was! (The child is fearless, I tell you! I never take that for granted...)
If you haven't seen this movie for 20 years, like me, find it QUICK and watch it!
(And now that I'm older...I think Clancy is cute. What do you think?)

5 comments:
My absolute, all time, favorite movie
Oh, how I loved these movies!! Over and over and over, I'd watch them. The way he said, "Jess." And when he says, "I'll be back for the colt... and whatever else is mine." (Is that right?) Woo Hoo! What a great scene! :) Thanks for the warm, fuzzy memories. And good thinking with the lecture for Maggie. (But do they have cliffs where you live? I picture it as flat and open.)???
love love love love love this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sighed when you mentioned it and then I giggled when you said all the women sigh :) and men roll their eyes.
Good point to make with our Maggie girl. :)
Now I need to rewatch this! :)
This was my mom's favorite, favorite movie of ALL TIME (as in, they didn't need to make Tv for anything other than watching THIS). Hence, I didn't take to it immediately but like it now.
LOVE this movie. And watch it all the time! Ditto everything Shannon said! Swoon! And ditto on telling Maggie not to jump any horses off of steep hills! And yes, every time we did that, we WERE the Man from Snowy "Rivah." So many good quotes that my sister and I use all the time. And.... are you sick of me yet, I taught myself how to play some of Fur Elise, just because of this movie. And... the ring tone for when I call my husband, Fur Elise.
Post a Comment