Monday, March 28, 2011

What about the bulls?

It was brought to my attention this weekend that in the spring, all the attention is on the cows and calves.  But what about the bulls?  Does anyone think of them? 

Of course we think about them...this is bull sale season!
The bulls are showcased, with EPD (estimated progeny data), bloodlines, photos and measurements.  (Yes, it's not uncommon to know scrotal measurements.  Every little detail counts.)
Bull sales are great places to hang out, because the sellers shmooze the buyers, hoping hospitality will make a difference in the amount of money they spend on the bulls.  And also because it's just good advertising, if people talk about your bull sale hospitality...it attracts other people.  People like me, who would just go for the food and libations, but who the boss doesn't give the checkbook to. 

I'm not allowed to buy bulls. I can buy vaccine, eartags, gloves, baling wrap, sandwich supplies and fanbelts. But not bulls.  I'd buy GREAT bulls! And that's the problem. I'd pay too much and be seduced by the auctioneer's flowery words of flattery. It's not considered cool to be on the front page of the Western Ag Reporter weekly paper for being the top spender at the 2011 Currant Creek Angus Bull Sale....

In lieu of bull sale pictures, you just get bull pictures.  They are in the pasture next to the house and hang out by the yard fence, rubbing on posts, trash talking, fighting, pooping and eating.  That's all they do. 

See?





3 comments:

Shelly said...

Surely they know how good looking they are.

Is "Aberdeen Angus" still used to describe this breed? We noticed it on pub menus in England, then Dad said that is what the farmers that he knew called them in the 40's and 50's, but over time it evolved to simply "Angus". Whatever the term, they are gorgeous.

Denise said...

I want to know the answer to Shelly's question. Because I need to know useless information to me like this. :)

Christine said...

I would give anything to spend a day with you at your place! I'll bring scones you set up the tea!