Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Off Broadway

To say the least...

Maggie and her schoolmates had their Christmas program last night, at the Cohagen Community hall!  The reason I say "schoolmates" is because there are only five kids in the whole school, and only one of them is her actual classmate.  (He also happens to be the guys she insists she's going to marry, so THAT'S handy.)

Our teacher, Celestia (Who also happens to be Maggie and Angus' grandma by circumstance), writes the plays herself and the roles are tailored to each child.  It's incredible.  And each play has the Christmas story, read from the book of Luke in the Bible.  Aren't we fortunate, to still be able to include that in our Christmas celebration?

This was before the big program....the Men, solving world problems discussing the weather. 

The kids used different instruments with all their songs, except The Friendly Beasts, and in that song they each had a solo.  We sat in the audience, mouths hanging open, at their beautiful voices.  We had NO idea they could sing like that! 

Maggie was a poor little flower girl named (funnily, to me) Flower.  She kept trying to peddle her wares to different, pompous customers that came to the Christmas store, only to be rejected every time.  Here she is, trying to sell to Ben, who will have NONE of her flowers, for any reason or price!

Can you believe that the only two girls in the school got to have a tea party as part of the play?  They were so cute!

Santa! (Maggie knows that THIS Santa is an imposter.  Oh, she'll take his candy and play along, but the REAL Santa had better make an appearance on Christmas Eve...)

Angus, on the other hand, BELIEVES.  The tricky thing is that they've seen Santa twice this week and both times he's asked what they want for Christmas.  The old boy OBVIOUSLY needs to write this stuff down, because he's hopelessly forgetful...

Audience members who shall remain unnamed here, but that hold special places in our hearts! (Another fun thing about our friendship with Glasscocks has been that their kids and ours "share" grandparents.  Yours, mine, ours.  That sort of thing.)

Traci and I each made huge roasters of chili, and the rest of the community filled in the gaps around it.  Wonderful food, as usual, but the cookie/candy table?  Swoon!

Maggie, very seriously, sat me down the night before the program and in a roundabout way indicated that I should wear a dress.  Then she downright insisted, once I picked up on the clues.  So I was very overdressed for the party, but she was so thrilled that we both had our fancy dresses on!

The Princess on rollerblades, in her fancy Christmas dress!  If you think all of her tights have holes in the knee region, you think right.  You can dress her up, but you can't make her behave like a lady all night.  We're still working on that.

2 comments:

Rosie O'Grady said...

This is just amazing and wonderful, and it brings back memories of our country school days at the Big Dry. The kids will remember these plays forever, and are so fortunate to have a creative, Christian teacher. But I am wondering how these kids can stand to be in short sleeves? That old hall must have warmed up.
P.S. Country life is the best!

TraciG said...

Hope you don't mind that I saved a couple of photos... the one of Ben and Maggie is priceless! I got the pause/record button on my new camcorder confused and have a couple of really nice shots of the floor and my legs.... I did get the kids singing the 1st 3 songs. Am I irritated? Yes!! It was so great, though wasn't it?