And, truth be told, we're not happy about it. But we're making the best of it.
Being a thoughtful blogger, I'm not including all the "real" pictures:
Maggie sitting on the porch floor, bawling because she can't get her snowpants zipped right.
Wayland, bowling with cats, out the front door into the snow.
Angus, hot cocoa on his face and shirt and the table and the dog and the floor and everywhere but in him.
Me, sitting in a chair, head in hands, while the children play Annie-Aye-Over the kitchen table with an apple, screaming at the top of their lungs.
No, these are the more sanitized versions of our family, snowed in.
I draw the line at sweet (posed) pictures of popcorn, blankies and a CandyLand board game. Milton Bradley has sold a TON of those games with that image.
Our "real" pictures would sell anti-depressants. Or vacation packages. (Get away from it all!)
(If ONLY.)
Alright, EVERY year we have the SAME picture....Angus, out in the elements, with nothing but his underpants and perhaps a tshirt, if we're lucky. Here's the photo for 2010.
This is what the Farmer does, all morning, every morning. We don't usually have to feed this much, this early in the year (ranch time) so it's a little worrisome. Costs a LOT to feed cows properly, during cold weather, and it feels like we're running money out the cake feeder, instead of pellets, sometimes.
PopPops gave Maggie this ranch girl hat. She wore it for 36 hours, in the night and subsequently at breakfast, with her cereal. We FINALLY got it off her, to shampoo, but she ADORES this hat. She's been wanting one like mine for a couple years. The mark of a ranch girl, like a badge of honor...
They only go outside so they can come in, five minutes later, and slurp hot cocoa with whipped cream.
Sunrise, this morning, over the sea of snow...-10 degrees. So....sort of like the Arctic Ocean sea of snow.
Hello, cross country skis!
Hello, ibuprofen!
Well...hello, muscles I forgot I had!
Turns out, running every day has NOT make cross country skiing any easier. But it's a really great change from the "dreadmill", and I'm enjoying it.
5 comments:
Ooooohhhh . . . I've never been as sore as I was the first time I went cross country skiing!!!!
I'll be praying for some relief for you and the creatures.
Nifty . . . the "word verification" that google just gave me for my last comment was "cattle" :)
Never been snow skiing. Water skiing,yes, but never snow skiing.
I just love your family, Mary. That Angus is our Gavin's twin. Love it!
I need snow pants like those. Where did you find those?
Love love love love Maggie,s hat! :) And the boots and grundies? ADORABLE...one day they won't do that and you'll miss it.
But I don't think we will ever miss the moment of sitting in the chair, head cradled in our hands, begging God for an early spring.
FUNNY, Erin! Sometimes that happens to me, too, with word verification and it always makes me laugh. And I'm not as sore today as I thought I'd be!
Come skiing, Patricia! Here's a little secret: I've never, ever, ever downhill skiid in my life and I'm dying to try. This might be the year. Can you believe I'm a born and raised Montanan and have never been down a mountain? Sad....
Pssst....Denise....they AREN'T snowpants. They're actually Under Armour running pants with Under Armour running tights beneath them! Cross country skiing requires such a range of movement and gets my body so steamed up from working HARD, that I don't wear snow pants. And it's motivation to keep from falling, which I don't, anymore.
Post a Comment