Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

I need to preface this sweet post with a little information....



I nearly always, always end up at some point during a holiday, sitting on the floor crying and saying out loud, "I HATE holidays!"  And I do.  For some odd reason (and I don't know if this is an oldest child perfection/control/people pleasing thing or what) I always feel such huge pressure that gets greater as the day approaches and on the actual day OF, I want to throw up and usually end up like I described before. Then, like this Thanksgiving, I end up pouring a glass of red wine at 10:00 a.m. and trudging on.

And before I start getting all sorts of helpful tips and reasons why I should approach the days with humor and lightheartedness, remembering the reason for the season and embracing the miracle of my children's enthusiasm and all that stuff, let me tell you that I have! I make good lists, am organized before and on the day of horrors, delegate, pre-chop, don't sweat the small stuff that day....all that. I watched my mom do it for years, with grace, and took mental notes. AND she didn't drink wine at 10 a.m.  (That I noticed...)



This Thanksgiving, I ended up taking the bathroom door apart because I couldn't get it unlocked, being hot and mad about that caused me to try to open the kitchen window which was frozen shut...I cracked it.  Literally.  Company that wasn't coming, all of a sudden decided to come. (And I was happy they did, but had to adjust some things...like, getting more chairs! Who invites people without counting chairs?  That would be me.)  We had to quickly relocate 8 cats for the day.  And more.  This list has been heavily edited, for public viewing! 

My friend Sara H.C. called in the middle of the madness to exchange horrorday (See? Sounds just like holiday!) stories and laugh so we wouldn't cry.  And I talked to Farm Chick, who was having her own drama with eyeliner, if you can imagine.  They saved me. 

When everyone finally got here, it was great, and the house was happy.  There was laughter, hugging and all the Walton elements everyone pictures when they think about Thanksgiving.  (Except football.  I couldn't turn on the soundtrack...football game in the background.)

We have a tradition of having Thanksgiving with the Jaspers. I can't remember how it started, but it's a pretty good deal.  And we nearly always have drama.  One year I had turkey poisoning (surprise pregnancy with Angus)  and we all drove home in the worst storm the state has seen. Another year, Yulena hit her head, hard and was throwing up.  It's always something. 

Here are pictures from this year:
(The camera didn't come out until time for dessert...)

The only pictures of me, at holiday times, are taken by me....
This was after the crying and wine, and before a shower. Bags under the eyes, wrinkles, frazzled hair...you can thank me for darkening it!

 The day dawned bright and COLD...temperature on the thermometer was -2, with a wind chill of -26.

We had pumpkin pie, berry streusel pie, pecan caramel cheesecake and amaretto macaroon cheesecake!
(And this is the only picture I got with Jenny sort of in it.  Drats!)

 Maggie and Yulena...fast friends!  They played dress-up and princess and all those girly games. And they may have teased their brothers just a little.

The brothers...David (twin to Yulena) and Angus, playing Legos and badguys and it LOOKS like Angus was changing clothes.  Dear me!

Ivan is looking at me and trying to guard the whipped cream at the same time.  He was really rather possessive of the bowl.  Can't say as I blame him!  Looks like Celestia got the first piece of pie...

...but the guys were soon to follow!  Note the whipped cream, still at Ivan's hand.  The Farmer is inspecting the crust on the cheesecake.  It was WONDERFUL!

Ah ha!  Finally wrestled the cream from Ivan's sticky grasp...

Words of wisdom, from Jasper.  I think the guys were talking about reloading.  Or knives. Doesn't look like the Farmer and Ivan are taking him all that seriously... 

 Aftermath....

 Everyone left in a flurry, because of a storm that blew in!

And just like that...Thanksgiving was over.

Today, while everyone else is shopping, CRAZY shopping, in this house we're looking forward to playing outside in the snow and watching football on the computer, while eating snackies.

How was YOUR Thanksgiving?  Do you stress out on holidays, too? Or are you one of those beautiful, serene souls who glides through them happily?



     

5 comments:

Sara H said...

The phone call was a lifesaver. Seriously. I was able to shuttle mother-in-law to the grocery store (on Thanksgiving even - I doubt there's much coming to me for Christmas this year - I didn't buy salad on purpose - don't tell) and lock myself in a back room for a "quick" life line to Cohagen. I came back out refreshed and ready to dive back into the kitchen. It's great to spend holidays with family, but it's friends who get us through them without killing said family.

Patricia said...

(((HUGS))) No matronly wisdom or advice from me. I just have a few (ok a LOT) of years on you. Time mellows you. At least it has me. Bad knees do, as well. I've never been a Martha Stewart, but I do have a history of driving everyone crazy in my failed attempts. This was a good year...a grace year, I think. The past two years that I've cooked a turkey I've caught the oven on fire. This year I did not. There was a momentary panic when my niece texted that "We just left the house" when I was only expecting her and wondered if I had enough food for "we" and another unexpected guest, but we actually had one of the best Thanksgivings that I can remember and there's leftovers enough for the entire weekend. And no shopping for us today, except for the tree...and I made Louis and Emily do that by themselves. Tomorrow I'll have to endure the suffering the Florida State Seminoles are likely to put on my beloved Florida Gators. I'm already licking the anticipated wounds. It's just not our year.

Lori R. said...

Ohhh Mary,,,, I used to be JUST LIKE THAT!!! but now the elders have passed away and the kids are married. This was the FIRST laid back holiday since all of the above happened and it was fun, and the conversation was loose and hilarious. It was the best!!!! I used to sweat EVERY DETAIL and for good reason (I had a very critical m-i-l and her family and I was always trying to live up to her expectations. It nearly broke me mentally) but now,,,, FREE AND EASY... hang in there kiddo,,, Christmas is around the corner. It really does get better and if it doesn't,,,, wine and phone calls to friends are priceless ♥

Denise said...

You can always call me. I was drinking wine too.

Christine said...

My twin! We are still married and not in prison...I'd say you and I are doing just fine!

I am so toning Christmas down this year...and I am gonna have some fun at it! One day at a time and if I don't get it all done this year than there is always next year...right? Hugs