Tuesday, November 23, 2010

****Sparkle****

Have you all seen Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
It was a movie made in 2007 about a magic toy shop...a crazy, wonderful place that felt like home to me, the minute I fell into the scene.  Dustin Hoffman was the eccentric (and insanely old) owner, and Natalie Portman was his "manager".  She had been a child prodigy in music, but stalled out, when trying to compose her own music and ended up selling toys, instead. 

Anyway, after awhile, she realizes that something in her is missing, that used to be there.  Something...that lit her up.  Her sparkle.  And she asked a very uptight accountant about it.

"When you look at me....do you see....a sparkle?"

He was lost.

"You look fine.  Good."

"Yes, but do I sparkle? Do you see anything? Like a sparkle?"

He never really did.  He tried to humor her, but he lacked the imagination to really understand what she was asking. 

Sometimes I wonder if I've lost my sparkle.

Not all the time.  Sometimes it's a little TOO bright.  Ask my bookclub girls.

Turns out, I really need to be around people to replenish the sparkle.  Which is JUST the opposite of the man I married; he loses HIS sparkle when he's around people too much.  Crazy. 

The PROBLEM with being someone who gets energy and glows from being around people is that, well, there aren't any, here.  Oh, sure, there's population...somewhere.  (I went to get statistics, exactly, on this.  Guess what?  The site I found, finally, that had Garfield County information http://www.city-data.com/county/Garfield_County-MT.html  says we have ZERO people per square mile.  Which, in their opinion, places us in the "Low" bracket.  You think? )  And in the winter, there's very little opportunity to see the few people who ARE in Garfield County.  Basketball games. That's about it. 

So I'm trying to figure out a way to safely (because of the weather) and economically (because fuel is incredibly high priced) see people outside my home, twice a week.  So I don't go completely mad and start chewing on the counters or something.  Or my kids.  But I'm determined to figure it out.  Winter started two months early, here. 

Poof! Sparkle stealer.

The thing I want to know about you is, what makes you sparkle?

When people look at you, do they see a sparkle?
And if you don't know, try asking someone.
Although.....I'd steer clear of the accountant types.

3 comments:

TraciG said...

People charge my battery too, but you already knew that! I'm trying to get my sparkle first thing in the morning with a quiet time and some exercise which helps because it takes my focus off of my "self" (interior) and puts it on my 'self' (exterior--you know, sweat--huffing and puffing, lungs hurting).

I find that being an extrovert is a little tough out here in the boondocks for sure! And I'm afraid this winter weather is not going to help much.

Shannon said...

Me, too. People keep me sparkling. And I, too, am married to someone whose sparkle gets snuffed out by people. Unlike you, though, I can reach out my windows and almost touch the neighbor's house. I don't have to go far to find people. And what I have to work on is not making sparkle-inducing people take the place in my heart that should be reserved for my Lord and my man.

I think we've got to bloom where we're planted. Or sparkle where we're stuck. (I wonder if the stars that are further out feel less sparkly). Let's both go hard after God and after good marriages this winter. I'll stay in more and you find ways to get out. But the sparkle that comes from the love of a perfect Father and a perfect-for-me man is the best sparkle of all, don't you think???

Denise said...

I needed this post dear. And you know well that I don't like bunches of people to sparkle but I surely do sparkle around good friends, I believe ;) But honestly, with the holidays approaching, I have totally lost my sparkle. And didn't realize it till I read this.