Friday, October 29, 2010

Pumpkin Soup!

It's true.  I wrestled the recipe away from Anne...had to BRIBE her with caramel rolls and Kafe Utza coffee, but I got it. 

You're welcome.

I know!  Pumpkin soup does not sound like it would be good.  Or even remotely edible, really.  But it's amazing!  I challenge you to try it, then let me know what you thought.

Here you go:

1. In a slow cooker, combine 6 cups peeled pumpkin (cubed 2 inch), 3 leeks finely chopped (white part only, onions can be subbed, carefully), 4 cups chicken stock, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper (who measures THAT?  A good goudge.  That's what I'd say.).  Cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours, or on High for 4-6 hours, until pumpkin is tender.

2. Strain the vegetables, reserving the stock.  In a blender or food processor, puree vegetables with 1 cup  stock until smooth.

3. If serving hot, return soup to slow cooker and add: zest and juice of 1 lime, pinch of cayenne pepper (I swear the recipe says "pinch"!  Use your good judgement here.), 1 cup whipping cream and cook on High for 20 minutes until well heated. 

4. When ready to serve, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro. (Anne says the dried will work, but she brought fresh to bookclub, and I can vouch for that...mmmmm!)

This can also be served cold, but I can't imagine why anyone would. 
If you can, try to get homemade rolls from Thelma G. to serve with this. Soft, yeasty white rolls with brown tops, buttered. 

Did you swoon?
I did. 

This recipe theoretically serves 6-8 persons.
Or a fair sized bookclub gathering.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sara H said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe. Chad made me zuppa di zucca gialla (literal translation: soup of squash/pumpkin yellow) on Wednesday night. Delicious with the baked, salted pumpkin seeds OR my favorite, pieces of crispy pancetta on top. We first made this when we lived in Italy and made homemade parmigiano-reggiano croutons for it. Now, I'm swooning!

TraciG said...

I gotta say, I was a little skeptical, but it is darn good. That cayenne gives just exactly the right bit of kick... and I agree that Thelma's rolls are a perfect accompaniment!

Denise said...

Abe says he only likes GOOD food and this does NOT sound like good food. It sounds a lot like pumpkin SEEDS, which he claims are gross. How about you make us some and then he might eat some from YOUR house. I'll supply the pumpkins :)

Jen said...

I'm trying it! As soon as I get my slow cooker unpacked...