Maggie got to spend a couple days with Cowboy PopPop and Grammy Karen for her birthday. Her heart's desire was to get to ride, and even though this is one of the busiest times of the year, my Dad stopped everything and saddled Little Joe for her. Angus, of course, got to ride too.
You need this little story, though, too. When Maggie was riding in the corral, she came over on her horse to talk to me a little. I told her that this was a pretty big birthday gift, meaning the riding, and she said, "You mean I get to KEEP him?"
Ah, no. You don't get the HORSE as a gift, sweetie...just the afternoon of riding.
She was still cool with that.
On Grammy's circular staircase. (The Farmer made this...I still don't understand the engineering, but it's cool.)
Dad, trying to instruct Maggie how to turn Joe. Maggie is incredibly literal, so when he said, "Take your left hand and pull it out to the side," that's exactly what she did. This picture makes me laugh!
She finally got the hang of turning.
Details...I love detail photos.
She's very serious about this.
PopPop, watching her go.
He was so incredibly patient with both kids, yesterday.
Now it's the boy's turn. Hold the reins like this, now.
More detail. See how tiny that saddle is?
And he's off!
Karen and I were both a little nervous right at first, about Angus riding alone, but he did just fine.
Joe is putting up with a lot of nonsense....
I noticed by these pictures that Dad and I stand exactly the same; one leg planted, the other sorta kicked out to the side.
Some black and whites, for you purists.
B &W is by far my favorite type of picture....
Howdy! (He actually said that.)
Getting off.
Maggie's turn again!
Don't you love the corral?
The girl is all hair and eyeballs.
I like the little saddle horn.
When they got done, Joe got a little treat. Or 6.
This is the first time either child has ridden alone and it was a big day. When we got home, Maggie said, "It was the BEST birthday EVER."
4 comments:
Maggie is such a lucky little girl! These pictures are worth a thousand words, some of your best work yet (and I believe your photography skills are top notch!). I may just have to break down and get Rhys his first pair of boots in anticipation of a Montana trip!!
Good job kids! It won't be long until you are both galloping all over the place. If you could only have Old Major to ride. Now, there was horse that put up with a lot of nonsense, but he also knew how to manipulate kids, and have his way. Happy birthday to both of you.
the pictures are GREAT. Hooray for a fun day!
This is one of my favorite posts! I could not imagine a better birthday. Sounds like it's about time for an equine addition to the Pluhar Ranch.
Post a Comment