...at about 4:48 in the afternoon, Dr. Mick Covlin proclaimed, "And it's...a girl!"
He then handed me a bright eyed baby girl, told me to cut the cord, and my world changed forever, in the most amazing way.
The child was born with her eyes wide open, looking at the world around her with curiosity even then. All her newborn pictures from that afternoon have her looking at whoever is holding her, very attentively. She really looks as though she's sizing us up, in the photos!
This was a miracle baby. A long prayed for, barely possible gift from God. All babies are a gift from God, of course. We'd been trying for a long time to have a baby and this was our last chance...15% success rate if both parents were perfectly healthy and age 22-25. I was a long shot, at age 31 and had quite a few health strikes against me. After Maggie was born, Dr. Covlin's nurse Merri would usher us in to my follow-up appointments by announcing to the other staff, "Here's our miracle baby! This is Maggie Isabella...come look!" Then the other nurses would have to gather around and hear the story. Bless their hearts, they cooed appreciatively every time... (Dr. Covlin and Merri made more appointments than necessary for us, I found out later. We loved them, they loved us...)
Everyday with Maggie is an adventure waiting to happen! As you know, if you've been reading the Chronicles for any time at all, she's not afraid of much and wants to try everything. She loves unlovable things, like lizards, and mothers and nests daily. Maggie is a perfectionist who sees Rembrandt paintings in her head and is often frustrated by the pictures and projects she produces. She is stubborn, energetic, funny, precocious, tough and imaginitive. She chooses broccoli over chocolate, carrots over cookies. (I don't know where that comes from. Certainly not the Duttons.) If there's something hard to do, she's in the middle of it, usually ramrodding the show. If there's someone within a 2 foot radius of her being, she's visiting them and hugging them, if she can get her hands on them.
We're so blessed and challenged by her!
Happy Birthday, little sundrop!
6 comments:
Happy Birthday Miss Maggie with many more to come!!
I love this post Mary. I wish we could be up there to celebrate her birthday with her!
Let me get one thing straight...you cut the umbilical cord?? Seriously? OMG. I would have wigged out and then passed out if my doctor had said that to me! Props to you!!
'we're blessed and challenged by her'. Yup, that's mother hood. Love the post, Happy Birthday to Princess Maggie!
Thank you! Maggie is at VBS this morning and thrilled about it.
Marina, I DID cut the cord! But get this: Dr. Covlin allowed Wayland to do the actual delivery...catching the baby! It was a very memorable birth. Honestly, I was so stinking tired after pushing that I cut it without thinking...
Happy birthday to a true Princess!
God is good! Happy birthday, Maggie. You are a blessing in so many ways, and I know that you will continue to do amazing things for the Lord.
Post a Comment