(Yes! They wait for these updates and comment as soon as they get them! Bless their frazzled little hearts....)
The yarrow seeds have not sprouted.
You read that right...have NOT sprouted. Which baffles me beyond anything, because the seeds from the wicked plants in my flower beds where I DON'T want them have come in like a carpet in my lawn.
Fontie, I'm working on a picture of the hairy-legged weed. It's not easy to capture the nuances of such a beast in a manner worthy of its reputation.
In other garden news:
I have World! Champion! Dandelions! They are so big in one bed that I contemplated having the Farmer take my picture with one, like those old ads you see in Gurney's catalogs where Grandpa G. Whillikers is holding a 10 lb tomato. (Below is an example...actual image from Gurney's catalog)
I resisted the temptation to have that picture taken in sensitivity to my in-laws who already suffer enough having me in the family without their good gardening reputation ruined by association.
I gave my kids seeds to plant, this spring, in the hopes that they'd:
A. leave MY expensive seeds alone, or
B. grow something that would make them want to garden for the rest of their lives.
Angus had peas. He dug a hole about 2 inches deep and 3 inches in diameter, dumped the ENTIRE packet of seeds in it (no amount of pleading could dissuade him) and covered them up with his little spade.
They are growing. In a big old pea wad, but they are growing!
My friend Denise sent me gladiola bulbs! I've never planted glads before, but doesn't it just sound joyful to say, "You should SEE my glads!" ? (There was no good way to punctuate that...)
I planted zinnias in a flower bed that had previously held sunflowers and now have a dilemma....zinnia seedlings APPARENTLY look exactly like sunflower seedlings! Which brings me to a point that has driven me crazy since I started trying to grow things. Does anyone besides me think it's absolutely pointless for seed companies to print that little picture of what your seedling will look like when it sprouts? They all look the same when they have two leaves! Seriously. Go grab a couple seed packets and take a look.
So now I can't pluck all the rotten sunflower seedlings out until I know for SURE they are rotten sunflower seedlings....probably when they bolt to 5 feet high in a week. And then I'm not sure I'll have the heart to by then.
We've had so much rain in the last couple weeks that it's been pretty easy gardening. It's so damp that I found a slug, for the very first time ever! Maggie thought he was a naked snail, which technically he was. After all the horrors I've read about what snails can do to plants, I cheerfully squooshed him and it must've deterred all his slimy little friends from living here because I haven't seen another one.
My pergola went up last night! We still have to add the wood for shade slats, but the structure is up and I'm so excited!
That's all the dirt from the garden at the Chronicles.
Stay tuned for more scintillating posts....

2 comments:
Scintillating indeed!
And, no fair-I want a pergola!
I want a pergola!!!! Will you plant viney things on it? Glads DO make you glad!!!!!! :) And yes, all seeds look the same. And no, I couldn't kill off thriving sunflowers and BRACE yourself, our family was in the paper for growing HUGE GIANT pumpkins like that one. We'd have had more, but the sheep got in them and ate some. That fall my dad got rid of all the sheep to never have them on the farm again. The end.
Post a Comment