We also have "friends-like-family" in Missouri who are homesick for the prairie. Don, Shelly and baby Ison wrote with a copy of Don's grandmother's prairie poem that I'll post at the end of the photos. Shelly writes that Frances grew up in South Dakota and I love her poem about springtime; I'm sure you will, too. I wish I had met her; I believe we were kindred spirits.
Some folks like the desert
Where the snowflakes never fall,
Where the sun is always shining
And the world doesn't change at all;
Some like the mighty mountains
With their pretty Christmas trees,
Where the snow lies deep and level
And the lakes and rivers freeze.
Some even claim the city
With its bustle, clang and rattle,
Where a man doesn't have to don his boots,
Get out and hay the cattle.
But though the hills look bleak and bare,
And the winter winds blow raw,
There's nothing like the prairie
When the snow begins to thaw.
I like the way Old Meadowlark
Heralds in the spring;
He tops a fencepost deep in snow,
Throws back his head and sings.
The badger and the ground owl
Come out to prowl around,
While up the draw the muskrat
Makes riffles 'cross his pond.
The sandhill cranes come drifting back
Like leaves before a storm;
While high above the roof at night
The wild goose blows his horn.
Old Bullfrog clears his throat and croaks
A message to his kin;
They all come up to answer,
And it makes a cheerful din.
Flowers strew across a hill
Where prairie chickens drum;
Deep into dusk the grouse-birds chuckle
Like they were having fun.
Cattle call and fife of killdeer,
Scent of green things come to light;
White young moon and balmy southwind
Make a heaven out of night.
Threads of wild ducks winging northwards,
Old black crows that flap and caw;
Man, I'm glad I'm on the prairie
When the snow begins to thaw!
4 comments:
I didn't realize that Pollywog Creek was a real place....!!!!!!
LOL, Marina. It is and it isn't. Pollywog Creek is the name of the creek that borders the western edge of our property, we live on Pollywog Creek Drive, and when we owned citrus (before losing it to the canker scare) we called it Pollywog Groves. It seemed the perfect name for my blog.
Mary, you know I LOVE this post. And Maggie....can she come stay with me for a while so I can include her in my photos. She is so beautiful.
And looking for the beauty in small things? That's one of the lessons God has taught me through my camera. Trust me...a panoramic view of Pollywog Creek at times might make you wonder.
And that poem is awesome. Despite the miles that separate us, we do have things in common...the bullfrogs, crows, and killdeer...and I shall think of you and the prairie every time they make themselves known on Pollywog Creek.
I was gonna click "rural" just to click it but really, this post is much too pretty for such a click. Thanks for sharing. I leaned in close to catch as much of the detail of those photos as I could.
Hey Mary... Just getting back to blog world! I took some time to catch up reading your posts. Love the poem, and the pic of the hand holding flowers, oh and the yellow boot pic is precious. Actually all the pics are beautiful. I would be glad to send YOU some TUBERS, I HAVE RUN OUT OF PLACES TO PUT STUFF TOO!!! The individual pics of Maggie and Angus are just precious... good job mom.... and Wayland should add the pirate hat to his daily attire,,, the cows might find it amusing. I think I am back to normal for a while. Until the wedding gets closer, then I will probably be MIA for a few weeks again. Thanks for sharing your little bit of heaven through pictures with us all. You are probably like me, I don't think I would want to live anywhere else. I am glad I raised my kids country. Mine ended up with a real appreciation for the land and they return often thanking us for their upbringing.
Post a Comment