Wednesday, May 12, 2010

For Lori R., if she still reads this blog...

A true confession and humble groveling....



I actually bought AND PLANTED a couple packets of yarrow seeds for my New York flower bed. Knowingly paid good money for bad flower seeds that I've repeatedly cautioned other gardeners about. If I wake up tomorrow to rotten vegetables pelting the house, I will know why.


It's a hellaciously hot, dry bed located ten feet from my yard, across the gravel driveway and I can't get anything to grow there, except noxious weeds.  Like gypsophilia and iris. The reason I call it the New York flower bed is because I test suspicious plants in it....if they can make it there, they'll make it anywhere. (And everyone joins in, "...it's up to you, New-York-New-York! dum-dum-dahddy-dum, dum-dum-dahddy-dum..." Now you'll have that song in your head all day. You're welcome!)

I planted them early, early one morning nearly in the dark,  wearing pajamas of course, and feeling hypocritical and terribly guilty. I don't think anyone saw me and I destroyed the seed packets immediately, but still....I can't live with myself.

 So now you know.  Garden havoc will begin in approximately 10-15 days, if the conditions are favorable. (Favorable conditions for yarrow being "anywhere on the planet" and "any sort of moisture, even that from bated breath, in the air"...)

I brought it on myself.



*I also have about 50 pounds of iris tubers to dispose of and I don't really want to throw them away, but I have run out of places to put them.  Every flower bed I have in my half-acre plot of ground has iris.  And they just keep multiplying! If anyone wants them and can't come pick them up, I will SHIP THEM, free of charge to the shippee. Anyone who comments on this post and uses the magic word "iris" will automatically entitle themselves to 5 pounds of iris tubers! You can ALL win!

**Two boxes of iris tubers are ready for D. and Fontie!

To answer Fontie's question, there's nothing wrong with iris.  They hang out for a couple years, looking for all the world like soldiers, and putting up neat little helmet blossoms to accentuate their spear foliage.  Then, all of a sudden, the troops expand into a wad of mangy looking misfits and that's your cue to divide them.  The first time you divide them, you'll be giddy, because they are EASY to tease apart and plant.  The third time you have to divide them, you'll be frantic to find homes for them, because you will actually have pain if you toss them over the fence.  Find someone who needs a filler flower and make them think they won a horticultural blog contest. Box up 10 lbs and ship with a lovely note and best wishes....

2 comments:

Denise said...

iris.
Iris tubers aren't bad! Line your mailbox with them! I love em, just wish they were a better cut flower. They are the ONLY flower that was here on our farm when we moved in, but they must not like us....they keep disappearing on us!

michelle said...

what kind of iris? i have a naked yard...aren't some flowers better than none? (Truly, I want to know...what's wrong w/ irises?)

I'm so glad you planted yarrow. It thrills my heart. And makes me laugh.