Yesterday was my Aunt Bert's birthday, so this post is a little late...
This is a picture of us at a C.U.P.S. meeting last spring.
Isn't she beautiful?
As long as I can remember, I wanted to grow up to be like Aunt Bert. When I was little, she was the most glamorous woman I knew and I really and truly thought she could do anything. She taught me things like:
- People notice your hands, so keep your nails trimmed and clean and use lotion. When you paint your nails, do at least two coats. And toenails look better with a little polish.
- Always use real butter and real vanilla when you're cooking. Use the best ingredients you can afford; it makes a difference on how things turn out. (She recently confided that she's started using *I can barely type this word* MARGARINE of all things, in her cookies to keep them soft. I can't do it.)
- Wear moisturizer and sunscreen, always.
- With regards to sewing: measure and fit, measure and fit...and if it's not right, rip it out and start over, no matter how painful that might be.
- Write letters. Take pictures. They remain long after you are gone.
- Texas Tech is the football team to cheer for, always. Red Raiders Rock!
And those were the practical things.
Aunt Bert loves the Lord and is always growing in her faith. She challenges me to move beyond my comfort zone, always (although that's not something I really struggle with) and is a lifelong learner. She's interested in people and their lives. And she's usually working to keep them trying a little harder to be better and more than what they are right now.
She loves antiquities, French culture and it's trappings, cats, shoes, fashion, family, old books, telling stories, handmade treasures, coffee, walking and talking out frustrations, good food, terrible political jokes, Conservative politicians, handbags, kids, and football.
She can be bull-headed and bossy, on occasion.
(Those aren't bad things! These traits are signs of great ideas and determination to accomplish them.)
(I hope Grandma Dutton reads this.)
She's one of my very best friends, my kindred spirit, my role model.
I still hope I grow up to be like her.

6 comments:
All I can say is that you sure better not come to Pollywog Creek without Aunt Bert!
What a sweet post.
She is great, isn't she?!
Thanks for the birthday hug! I had a good day with Rhys, Roberto and Marina. And just to let you know--I am working on that bossy bit, but you know my family background, so is it any wonder? I love you!
Everybody needs an 'Aunt Bert', don't you think? Just imagine who you'd be without her... I think you're probably already more like her than you know. Except for the butter, of course. :)
But you know, my friend, you and I are probably getting to that sweet age that we need to think about being 'Aunt Bert' to someone else who doesn't know to use two coats. :)
I love her! She's the best mom. I think she has been getting out of practice with her twinkling rolls, though.
Bossy isn't a bad thing!! In fact, it's downright essential to progress. (I'm bossy. It's a Dutton thing...one of our better traits.)
Poppie, I never thought about it being time to get into that role! Great. Now I have to refine some areas of my life. Like my manicures...
Patricia, Aunt Bert reads Pollywog Creek as Rosie O'Grady and I'm positive she'd clear the schedule to come with me!
Robert and Marina, I'm SO JEALOUS that you live that close to Aunt Bert, and I concur...she needs work on her twinkling rolls.
Aunt Bert, I love you! You're the bomb.
Post a Comment