Saturday, March 20, 2010

Excuse my French...

I once told a friend of mine that if I ever come up missing, to look for me in Lubbock. 

Actually, that's wrong....just to throw the trail, I guess. During football season, that would be a good start, but it's not where I'd hide out.



I'm pretty sure I'd go to France.
Longtime readers of the Chronicles know that I secretly (well, not anymore) adore all things French.  The language is beautiful, the gardens are glorious, the food...ah, the food, and the antiques make me swoon. Not to mention the coffee. 

This last month, my Aunt Bert sent me a wonderful care package, full of all sorts of treasures that made me get tears in my eyes at her thoughtfulness.  She tucked seeds, old family mementos, pink Texas Tech work gloves, and an antique postcard from France that she'd found at a craft sale, among other things.  It shows a flower market in Paris...lovely....and I have it near my sink so I can dream while I do dishes. (Thanks, Aunt Bert; we're kindred spirits.)

Quite near the postcard is some wonderful soap and lotion from France that Nancy Miller brought across the pond in her bags, through customs and everything.  Nancy reads the Chronicles (for the information, not the wit, I'm sure) and thoughtfully made the extra effort to bring a little bit of France to my house on the prairie.  It's olive oil and lavender soap, and if I close my eyes after using it, I can pretend I'm in Provence. (Nan, I'm indebted. And it's going to be a LOT harder to get Montana beef steaks through customs on my way to England...)

In a fit of insanity, when I ordered this month's bookclub book, I also ordered Joanne Harris' cookbook, My French Kitchen.  It's got really good, useful recipes, pictures of odd, random French ephemera and I can't stop looking at it.  Tartes are on the menu this week.  I'm looking for my lace curtains.   I forgot that my dog is a Brittany spaniel and could pose for a French cookbook! (Handy, no?)

And that's what pretty much changed my mind about disappearing to Lubbock.  Oh, they've got great BBQ there and my favorite football team, but I fear my heart is in Avignon.

Anybody want to join me?

2 comments:

Marina said...

Lets ditch the kids and go on a girls trip to Paris. I would do that tomorrow if you were up for it!!!! :)

Lori R. said...

I love(d) France too! I was very lucky as a junior in high school to be able to travel to Paris for Spring Break. The trip of a lifetime. I got to walk down the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, see the Arc de Triomphe, go to the Palace of Versailles, The Musée du Louvre (I actually saw the Mona Lisa). I wish I remembered it better and that my camera worked better. I can't say I would ever go back, but what an experience! If you ever get a chance, grab W. the kids and head over there!